Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing short shifter, 5 speed.

Dippa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy s pack
Hi guys,

Recently purchased a short shifter and didn't come with instructions, I've taken all the console out amd everything and was wondering where do I go from here. (Picture attached)
I'm guessing I've gotta get underneath the car but will I need to drop the box or is it just the bolts and should come out?

It's for a vy v6 5 speed btw and the shifter is similar to the billet item.

Thanks in advance any help would be great.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 2,865

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
That looks remarkably like a getrag shifter linkage...... Are you sure you have a T5? (No short shifter for the getrag as I'm aware) as the getrag is operated via mechanical linkages rather than being inside the box..... If it is a T5 I'm not 100% sure cause iv only done it on a T56, but there should just be like a stub or small shaft coming out of the top of the gearbox which has 2 or more holes through it which the shifter and related parts bolt onto , though on the T56 its all located under a cover plate ontop of the box which contains the brass cup bushing and the "throw" part of the shifter....

Hope this helps man

Dippa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy s pack
Hey mate, yeah it is a getrag gearbox like in all vs series 3 to vy models! Billet products sell the short shifter for the getrag models and a few other places have them as well, not to sure how long they've been around but there are short shifters for the getrag like mine. Thanks for trying help any way man! Much appreciated.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Interesting lol the last 3 commodores iv had iv searched for short throw shifters (all being getrag) and couldn't find any!! They do do one for the getrag 290 (ss 6 speed) but I couldn't seem to find one anywhere for the 260.....

Oh well it's a very simple procedure for you just jack the car up, remove the console on the top, have a look at the linkage as it should literally just be a combination of bushes and bolts and springs , then just unbolt the part your replacing, and replace with new item! Have a look at getting new bushes at the same time it make a big difference in shifter feel!

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You need to
1) remove console
2) get under car and remove circlip for the shift rod just below the shifter itself.
3) Remove both 13mm nuts on the bottom of the shifter support bracket (just above the rod where the circlip was)
4) Pull the shifter out from above

Reverse of that to put the new shifter back in

It's incredibly easy to do, and should take less than 20 minutes.

Dippa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy s pack
Thanks mate, just the answer I was looking for! Just the same as I thought. Thanks again.