Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing Splits in a VY

johnbpr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII '04 SED
So I bought a pair of Soundstream XSC.6 6.5" splits for my VY, and I'm not sure whether I should be installing them myself.
I've replaced the HU in my old VS and the VY, I've installed the amp for the sub under the seats for both cars and replaced all the stock speakers in the VS, so i've got a tiny bit of experience.

I'm just not sure how to mount the tweeters on the dash or where to put the crossovers (ithink).

Also, where do you suggest I mount the amp I've got for the splits? I've got a LP tank in the boot, so there's not much room in there with the sub and I've got the sub amp under the passenger seat.

I know these are fair n00b questions, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
I would say have a go at it yourself mate.....sounds like your fairly handy with cars / wiring / dash components so shouldnt be too hard.

A good and steathly spot for the tweeters is up in the demister panels where the dash meets the windscreen. You can get them out by taking off the side panels of the dash and undoing the screw/s? that hold it. While youve got that side panel off you can connect/mount your crossover here. Theres a nice little cavity in there and the speaker wiring that goes through into the door is easily accessible there too. Just cut the wires in between the plug and where the wiring runs into the door, then connect your crossovers' "mid" or "woofer" output there.

Good question about the amp though.....maybe under the drivers seat? cant remember if theres anything there or not ;)

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C2R TURBO 5SP + CRUNCH VE SSV 6SP
As Holdenboy said just put the tweeters in the factory positions, the stock tweeter brackets should fit on your new tweeter without dramas, the stock tweeters are **** to get off the brackets.

I would also run completely new wire for the speakers if your are amping them, so that means not using the grey+brown and L green+D green throughtout the entire car. The door connectors are one peice and preety hard to fit new bigger wires through without modifying them. heres are the 2 methods i have used: Drilling a whole in the connector in the spare area of the connector or i eliminated the connectors entirely and rewired the door wiring.

As for the amp what about mounting it on the rear fold down bench seat. (if small enough)

johnbpr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII '04 SED
As for the amp what about mounting it on the rear fold down bench seat. (if small enough)

That's where I used to have the sub amp before I got the LP tank put in. It's a pain in the arse.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
In all honesty kinkbike_rider using the stock wiring from the kick panels to the door speaker mounts isnt a problem. As its such a short distance (<1m) it dosent pose any problems in my opinion.

Also the work required to upgrade this section of wiring dosent really justify the gains (if any).