Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing SS Inductions CAI on VX

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Hey peoples, jst installed my new CAI and i figured to post the progress pictures from the installation. The instructions that come with the kit are pretty good but i figured a visual reference is always handy.
The only picture not shown is of cutting out a bigger hole in the airbox.
That just involved a jigsaw and sanding off.

Sorry bout the quality.

Cheers

Last edited:

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Nice one, you noticing any sort of increase of power? how much the kit cost?

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Hey,
Yeah i noticed abit of an improvement with acceleration and she is alot more touchy under throttle.
But i also have the exhaust done so it might be the two things that contribute.

NOTE: Only really noticed a difference after i reset the computer in the car by disconnection the battery.

I payed 399 for the kit.

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
Would the scoop hanging infront of the radiator (the metal bit shown in the grille pic) block much air from hitting it? cant really see much from that pic, but ive been thinking of making some sort of intake like that into the bottom of the snorkle on the stock air intake. Whether it be just a flattened tube directing air into the start of the snorkle, or go for a piece of metal like the SS ind one. Im leaning toward the el-cheapo flattened 60mm tube which will fit into it nicely, but ill look around some hardware shops for anything better :) Anyone else done anything like that?

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Yeah the scoop is hanging infornt of the radiator...
It doesn't block much air from the radiator on account of that i haven't noticed a increase in engine temp so far and i have been givin her abit to see what this new setup can do.
Yeah i was looking at the old intake and you could potentially cut the bottom section of it to accomodate for this sort of induction using a tube as u said.

I think the gains will be much more substancial in your case having a supercharger...

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
Im not sure if doing the said mod in my post will give better performance. The air being directed to the entrance to the snorkle might cause a bit more turbulance from the air coming from a vertical position as the normal intake would be from the front horizontal position. However a more cooler airflow would be more beneficial but since the engine will SUCK the air in rather than just let it be pushed thru by movement thru the air, might counteract the possible turbulance? Im sure if it dosent work well i can just cover it up :)

Have you noticed any sucking sounds now that youve installed the CAI? ive heard the s/c whine can be heard alot better with a CAI. But i dont wanna fork out $400 for a bit of a whine and a few minimal performance gains :p

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Yeah, its sux alot harder now...
I was riding it to uni today and going along a concrete wall and i could hear this sucking noise...took me awhile to work out what it was.

Just after i reset the ecu it was sucking like a pro-slut but its settled down abit now.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
$400 for that? Dude you dont pay more than $20 for anything made BY SS inductions.... you could have made one yourself that does the same job for 1/3 of that price...

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Yeah but i'm lazy, short on time and have money to throw at it...
Plus so far on the most the feedback about their CAI has been positive.
And i got it cheaper that any other place i looked.