Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing Sub/Amp in VP

matt_gotigers

RINGERZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VXII Spac
Took my Clarion Pro Audio Sub from my VL and am trying to install it into my HSV VPII. Iv mounted it in the boot behind the seats (attached amp to the box) and just wondering which way is the best way to wire it from there. Iv been told that running the wires up both sides of the car stops interference?? Like i said, just wondering which ways best and what sides the firewall on etc.

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Easiest way to run ur power cable thru firewall is to drill a hole next to the car wiring that comes thru wall on the driver side n run up to the boot on that side then run ur RCA leads n remote lead up the other side of the car...
Should only take bout an hour to do it if that...there are pics round on other threads that show good spots for ur cable to run thru... just do a search and u should find em...

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
On the VP Commodore, there should be a spare rubber gromet in the firewall behind your brake pedal switch. You can't see it from the inside, but you can see it as a grey rubber oval in the firewall from the engine bay side. Using a screwdriver, you can wedge the gromet out, poke a hole in it, and run your 8ga wire through it.

If you can't locate it, I'll try and get a pic of mine.

Then, as cruzin said, run the power cable up one side, and your rcas/remote up the other side.

I, from personal preference, mounted the sub on the floor behind the passenger side seat. I tried a whole bunch of different setups, but I was getting too much delay on the low frequencies when the sub was in the boot. (I'm very picky, and the slightest bit shits me off).

Best place for your ground, would probably be a bolt behind the rear seats.

If you want some more ideas, I'll take some snaps of my installation.

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive Wagon, L27 V6 3800
As for the wiring, you're right. I ran the power up one side, audio up the other, no interference whatsoever. There should be at least 30cm of space between any parallel power/audio lines.

Best of luck mate.

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
calais_cruzin said:
Easiest way to run ur power cable thru firewall is to drill a hole next to the car wiring that comes thru wall on the driver side

Also happens to be one of the easiest ways to make your car unroadworthy too.

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
The only way to tell that my amp wiring is there is under the hood on the battery. Extra terminal and large fuse mount. The rest of it runs up next to the overflow and into the firewall where the throttle cable is. Can't be seen at all.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Here's a picture of my bonnet wiring. I've included a photo of the grommet I used to run the 8ga wire through the firewall. I've even coloured the wire red so you can't miss it ^^ Finding the grommet shouldn't be too hard. Neither should getting it out. It's putting the damn thing back in that'll keep you busy all night. :bang:

Attachments

• fuse.jpg
    fuse.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,854
  • grommet.jpg
    grommet.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 2,257

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
Mine's very very similar to Morton's. In fact it could even be the same kit. The on difference is I took the fuse/relay block out and mounted it to the angled underside and ran the wire behind it.

Nice job by the way.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Hey, thanks fazz ^^ Mine was an 8ga kit, around $60 from Autobarn. Came with a terribly short length of ground wire. Sound the same? :)

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
Exactly the same, except I got mine off ebay for about $35ish. About 2' feet of black 8ga ground wire. I grounded it to a bolt in the rear seats next to where I mounted it.

It's good to see someone take pride in their wiring though. I'm forever popping the hood on cars only to find second-rate half-arsed wiring that's a serious potential for a fire hazard. Me being the anal-retentive network administrator I am (yes, I deal with KMs of CAT5E every day) I go to work with the cable ties and assorted goodies making it safe and pretty in no time.

Here's mine, I drive a wagon... so I had to get creative:

Attachments

• EB-FW_01.jpg
    EB-FW_01.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 712
  • cab_01.jpg
    cab_01.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 450