Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

installing torque converter HELP URGENT

Stevo-d

Calais Lover
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Cusom build (mock Calais)
Hi all,
I'm installing a replacement auto transmission in my VK... am having some real problems aligning the torque converter.

Under suggestion from a workmate, I have the torque converter removed from the flex-plate/flywheel with the intention of installing the torque converter to the transmission first, then bring the transmission up to the block, bolt it on and then secure the torque converter back to the flex plate.

problem is installing the torque converter all the way into the transmission.... I have the old trans' and torque converter - can get it onto that one with some difficulty but i cant find a good method of fitting it on easily.

Will keep trying, but any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Steve.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
just turn the torque converter on the shafts until it clicks all the way in you may need to turn it a few times till all the splines and the 2 tags line up and it slots in

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
We ran into this problem a few years ago. We put a new motor in a VH and just put it together as we pulled it out.....then it wouldn't crank over or nuthin, never even knew there was a special way to put the torque converter in, and yeah as it wasn't in properly nothing would move.

What we normally do now is stand the trans up on the piece of wood (back of the trans on the bit of wood), then put the torque converter in, and spin it a few times and let gravity drop it in. You'll find when it goes in enough it will be scrubbing on the back of the bellhousing, but when ya put the trans on and bolt up the torque converter through the inspection plate it pulls the converter back a bit and everything is fine!

vr_shart

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
vr executive
, turn it a few times till it clicks /drops in i think there are two or three stages where it will click in furthur each time

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
yep three and will touch the bell housing as danny8 said

Stevo-d

Calais Lover
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Cusom build (mock Calais)
Thanks guys, did get it on eventually.... I think filling it with fluid did help, and yeah, it was pretty much up against the bell-housing once it was in properly... gave me about 30mm to play with to bring it up to the flywheel/flex-plate.

Thank you all for your advice, very much appreciated.

Steve.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
my mate got impatient with his converter and hoped that by tightening the bell housing bolts it would make the problem go away. well, it did kinda. he destroyed the pump in the trans....

moral of the story "DONT BE IMPATIENT"

lol. congrats on success, its a bit of a pain sometimes.