Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing towing wiring loom in a vy ss Ute

Adam Gulliver

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ss Ute
Is there a connection plug to install the towing wiring loom in a vy ss Ute

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Have a look on your right side by removing the back light it might be behind it, if the plug not there try the left side, leave the wires of the trailer side plug and you should be able to run the harness through the light cavity and out the bottom, make sure its sealed so no water can get in. If no plug just go to jaycar and get the joiners you press down with pliers.

upload_2019-10-2_22-44-46.jpeg

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Oh, just in case your car has a fit if the led trailer lights are hooked up just add load resisters, only if that happens.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
If you have the loom from holden have a look under the rear bumper section, the falcon utes had a plug there.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Best to go to Holden buy the harness off them and ask them how it fits, my guess you unplug the original harness and it plugs in that via a loop. That's if you cant find the plug, or just do what I said perversely and save about 90 bucks.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Have a look on your right side by removing the back light it might be behind it, if the plug not there try the left side, leave the wires of the trailer side plug and you should be able to run the harness through the light cavity and out the bottom, make sure its sealed so no water can get in. If no plug just go to jaycar and get the joiners you press down with pliers.

View attachment 207158
Avoid these things at all costs in an automotive application. They cut through the insulation and allow the wire to oxidise underneath. They pretty much always tear several strands on the way through too. They're an easy short term fix that'll leave you with problems years down the track.

They have their place but not in cars

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I do agree that spicing with these connectors are a quick way of doing it that may cause problems down the track nothing beats soldering and heat shrink, if you have the right plug then it should have 3 plugs on the end, one plugs into your rear drivers side light and the other into the main wiring loom witch you disconnected, yellow wire is the blinker for left side.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Avoid these things at all costs in an automotive application. They cut through the insulation and allow the wire to oxidise underneath. They pretty much always tear several strands on the way through too. They're an easy short term fix that'll leave you with problems years down the track.

They have their place but not in cars
Pretty sure my ute uses those clamp things. Although I am not a fan of them as i can never seem to get them to make proper contact, i haven't had any issues with them on my bus, so far.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Pretty sure my ute uses those clamp things. Although I am not a fan of them as i can never seem to get them to make proper contact, i haven't had any issues with them on my bus, so far.
Depends on the wire gauge and how thick the shield is, I used them on a friends Cruze wiring his trailer harness the wires are so thin I ended up soldering and heat shrink as they weren't getting good contact. The size of the slot gap is important when getting the right ones, best if you get a few different sizes.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS Series II Manual
Best thing to do is go to the wreckers and cut off the rear light harness on the light and on the loom/

Then make a patch lead to click into the rear taillight loom. That way if you remove the towbar loom you can connect the light back. No soldering of the original loom, no terrible scotch locks (they belong in the bin!), no bad unrecoverable wiring.