Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing transmission.

-scyth-

Im alright its the others
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Wagon 05
Hi All. (Puts on flame suit...)

Is it a crazy idea to install a vz 05 calais 5 speed auto to replace my 4 speed auto? My auto at the moment is fine its just that the mentioned 5 speeder is a spare thats collecting dust on a shelf.

Also if it was an alright thing to do whats involved? or it is just plug & pray? :yeah:

cheers :dance:

Prob should elaborate too... i do a fair few country km's as well & have driven a 5 speeder before & was impressed by that 5th gear lol. Its only an idea at this point so opnions would be good.

Thanks again.

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
Would be a sweet idea if you have one spare. But im not too familiar with the computer side of things.
Not sure but I would say youll need to have your tune re-programmed? as far as i'm aware, the gear changes/timing runs off the ecu.

-scyth-

Im alright its the others
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Wagon 05
Would be a sweet idea if you have one spare. But im not too familiar with the computer side of things.
Not sure but I would say youll need to have your tune re-programmed? as far as i'm aware, the gear changes/timing runs off the ecu.

ah kool, never thought about the ECU. Cheers Ozzie :thumbsup:

84dez

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
u also have to remember that the 5 speed is a semi auto too with the option of the active select with stearing wheel paddles so might not work alltogether unless those are attached and u might have to change the shifting computer in the gearbox as they are made to shift at 6700rpm when u just slam ur foot down in auto mode and i dont think the 175kw motors can rev that high safely

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
new clock spring, bcm, gear selector panel, paddle shift buttons, steering wheel controls.

the clock spring alone is around the $400 mark.

hate to see what the rest of its worth.

If you can do it , why not the 5 speed is good but there isn't any tuning out there for them.

on that last note of yours about thwe country km's the box could either do with an extra gear or the gear ratios could be better, i was sitting just on 2k rpm at 110kmh.

6 speeds sit around 1700rpm

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
id be selling the box you bought bud unless you are prepared to remove the dash to replace a wiring harness, replace the tcm harness replace the tcm,

it may be possible to get the 5sp tcm and modify it to suit the 4sp harness and run it without the a/s

but i wouldn't hold my hopes up for it,

oh and the speed sensors are different too