Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing VDO Dayton 5400 in a VZ

thunder1234

Reaction score
Members Ride
SVZ
Assistance required.....I am in the process of installing a VDO Dayton SAT NAV system in my VZ and have come accroos a few issues where assistance is required by the experts out there. Out of interest the 5400 SAT NAV system is the same unit that Holden install except I got it at a third of the price on good old ebay. The display unit will install under the radio using a bezel from CAPA.com.au but now comes the hard bits where assistance is required.

1. Takling to those who know ( on dont know ) I understand that as the unit is the same as the HSV unit there already is a wiring harness in place. I have had a look and cannot find anything. The actual heart of the unit will be installed in the boot. Does anyone have knoweldge of the install process for the SAT NAV using the standard Commodore wiring harness. Failing this a wiring diagram indicating the speedometer sensor ouput would be of GREAT assistance !
2. Where do Holden install the actual GPS antennae , a logical place would be the trailing edge of the boot , looks ugly like a big boil !

Any assiance with the above would be appreciated.

Holden Newbie
2006 SZV

A

Andre's SS

Get Holden to do it or a professional installer.

Get it done right!

New2Holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V V6
I followed a VZ something tonight that had a body coloured shark fin antenna. Looked good. Maybe you could install one of them. I have a dash top portable GPS and the antenna does not need to see much sky to work well. If I was going to mount a GPS antenna permanently I would try to mount it somehow internally on the back parcel shelf.

SSZ Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6
I have hard wired in a Navman unit and had to use an external antenna. I ended up putting it underneath the centre binnacle instruments. There is a nice flat surface there and I used double sided tape. I actually positioned it a little bit forward ( just behind the sunlight sensor) but under the dash so it is invisible from outside. Still gets perfect signal...

darksidewa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ
There are 2 harnesses;

1: The dash harness - which connects the power , illumination and speed sensing to the gps unit.

2: The body harness which connects the sat nav computer to the display, external speaker and monitor.

Part numbers are:
Body harness - 92211283 295.21 inc Tax
Dash Harness - 92211282 276.28 inc Tax

By using the harness the VDO Dayton Satnav models ms5000 upwards are fully compatible with your vehicle.

However -models 5400 up have digital speed sensing, and analogue. If you use the harness supplied by holden this will not be an issue for you as the interconnects will pick up the correct wires. If you need a pic of the Holden Satnav setup (as shown in microcat) let me know and I will post it for you.

The other option you may want to look at it the brackets that mount the sat nav in the boot of the car. No drilling required at all.

The mounting brackets are:
Left hand Bracket - Part no: 92145888
Right Hand Bracket - Part no: 92145889

They sell for approx 49 each, you will also require the body mounting anchor and bilts as required.

if you have any questions, get your holden dealer to bring up sheet 09-810 in microcat, that shows everything required for the SAT NAV installation.

Cheers :)

darksidewa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ
the satnav antenna is mounted under the car seat housing on the rear parcel shelf.

thunder1234

Reaction score
Members Ride
SVZ
darksidewa said:
There are 2 harnesses;

1: The dash harness - which connects the power , illumination and speed sensing to the gps unit.

2: The body harness which connects the sat nav computer to the display, external speaker and monitor.

Part numbers are:
Body harness - 92211283 295.21 inc Tax
Dash Harness - 92211282 276.28 inc Tax

By using the harness the VDO Dayton Satnav models ms5000 upwards are fully compatible with your vehicle.

However -models 5400 up have digital speed sensing, and analogue. If you use the harness supplied by holden this will not be an issue for you as the interconnects will pick up the correct wires. If you need a pic of the Holden Satnav setup (as shown in microcat) let me know and I will post it for you.

The other option you may want to look at it the brackets that mount the sat nav in the boot of the car. No drilling required at all.

The mounting brackets are:
Left hand Bracket - Part no: 92145888
Right Hand Bracket - Part no: 92145889

They sell for approx 49 each, you will also require the body mounting anchor and bilts as required.

if you have any questions, get your holden dealer to bring up sheet 09-810 in microcat, that shows everything required for the SAT NAV installation.

Cheers :)

Thanks for all the assistance - Cost a fortune for all the install parts from Holden - How All I need is the pinout diagram from Microcat so I can complete the install ( Holden Dealer got a bit hostile when I asked for this :yeah:

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
thunder1234 said:
Thanks for all the assistance - Cost a fortune for all the install parts from Holden - How All I need is the pinout diagram from Microcat so I can complete the install ( Holden Dealer got a bit hostile when I asked for this :yeah:

You have got to love the spare parts / service department.

Very happy to help you as long as you pay for the privilege....:ranting: :ranting:

darksidewa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ
Yeah tell me about it. I had to go to the head of the major holden parts supplier in wa to get the information i have been chasing.

no one wants to tell you anything. Parts dont have a service manual for sale..
reason "VZ" is current model so there should be no need for owners to have a service manual. I think you can read that as.. while you dont have a manual, we get paid for anythign you want done to the car.

For example...
My VZ has a fuse block input for the rear amp, but no fuse block out put. I wanted to know which wire in the harness to use so i didnt need to run a seperate wire. (considering the wire runs to the boot anyways).. no way would they tell me...
so instead you are left with running a seperate wire.. sorry but i think that is stupid.

They could atleast sell the patch wire from the fuse box to the harness plug..

:S

thunder1234

Reaction score
Members Ride
SVZ
Today against my better judgement & advice given by people more in the know than me , equiped with my tusted digital multimeter I proceed to track & trace the SAT NAV socket in my VZ. Fruits of my labour are attached.

Hope this piece of info assists all of you like me searched & begged every holden source out there for information relating to connecting up a SAT NAV in a VZ. :cry:

One connection that I was hoping to find on the socket was the radio mute .... but then Holden use a seperare speaker for their factory install so a mute is not required. If you want to use the radio mute it is the yellow/black wire on the Mobile phone socket to the left of the console.

If there is anyone on this forum who thinks the information contained in the attachment is incorrect I would be most eager to hear from you.:D

Guys this information is given at your own risk , the only assurance I can give is that it works in my VZ:dance:

Attachments

• Holden VZ_SATNAV_Connection.jpg
    Holden VZ_SATNAV_Connection.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 2,965