Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing VY Ecotec in place of blown L67 VX calais.

funkyman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais L67
I've acquired a VY ecotec motor and wish to install it in my Calais, its L67 is caput and I've gone for the $200 second hand motor rather than $2000 rebuild.

What issues will I have?

So far I realise stall convertor and engine computer will need replacing.
Do I need to replace the whole loom?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Do you plan to run top swap the ecotec motor with the L67 heads or just a complete swap and run n/a?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You're going to have issues running the L67 tune on the Ecotec. Luckily the VY L67 was the last car you could get that had a memcal. Can get it mail order tuned or swap the ECU out if you have access to a Tech 2.

funkyman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais L67
You're going to have issues running the L67 tune on the Ecotec. Luckily the VY L67 was the last car you could get that had a memcal. Can get it mail order tuned or swap the ECU out if you have access to a Tech 2.
How about the fuel pump, will an L67's fuel pump run correctly on a non L67 ECU?

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
How about the fuel pump, will an L67's fuel pump run correctly on a non L67 ECU?

Fuel pressure is regulated by the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail so the higher capacity pump is irrelevant. I ran an L67 pump on an L36 for years without issue. You are correct that they run different fuel pressure. If you get a N/A tune for the L36 it'll be set up for the factory L36 injectors and regulator. You should not have any issues with the set up you have and a factory normally aspirated tune as long as you use the standard L36 injectors and regulator but you absolutely will need a tune in that ECU.