Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing a Vy model strut bar on a earlier model Commodore

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 V8 Berlina Wagon A4
This is a guide I put together to help those with earlier model Commodores (VT - VX) install a later model VY Holden strut brace. This is a standard part worth about $40 from Holden so this may be a cheaper alternative to other brands if your looking at installing one.

Sorry the URL for this has been taken down a long time ago..

Last edited:

King Jon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Executive Wagon
hey man
can you update your link or something cause it isn't working on my computer????? i'd really like to see what you have done cause i want to do it also.

thanks heaps in advance

Jon

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
This is a guide I put together to help those with earlier model Commodores (VT - VX) install a later model VY Holden strut brace. This is a standard part worth about $40 from Holden so this may be a cheaper alternative to other brands if your looking at installing one.

http://home.alphalink.com.au/~nbaxter/strut/

That link ain't working could you please update it......

sparky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
Steps that I took to install my strut brace in my wagon. No pics at the moment because I took off and did it at my local garage while I was still at work. I’ll take some after pics later

Tools needed – Trolley jack, vehicle stands, 10mm socket and breaker bar, 15/16" ring spanner, 4 x 3/8” x 1” bolts, 4 x 3/8” spring washers, 4 x 3/8” flat washers, electric drill, 3/8” or 10mm drill bit, socket to suit bolts, strut brace.

Pic 1 is the sort of brace that i have used.
Pic 2 is of the brace after installed
Pic 3 is a close up of the Locating plate and brace bolted in place

Step 1 – Undo the Locating plate nuts on both sides and remove the locating plates.

Step 2 – Place the strut brace into the position that you will want it mounted, then mark where you will drill the holes.

Step 3 – Jack up the front end of your car so that your wheels are at least 100mm off of the ground

Step 4 – Force your wheels down so that the whole assembly moves out of the way. You only need to be able to get your hand in to hold the bolts up.

Step 5 – Check before you drill the holes that you marked out before that you are not going to hit anything then drill one side.

Step 6 – Place the strut brace into position and make sure that the holes line up. There may be a bit of room for error but not much.

Step 7 – Drill the other side now and then line the brace up again.

Step 8 – Reaching up through the wheel well insert the bolts on one side and lightly hand tighten. You will have to pull the wheel down so you have enough room to get your hand in behind the spring.

Step 9 – Repeat for the other side.

Step 10 – Once you are happy with the position of the brace tighten the four bolts.

Step 11 – Lower the car down, making sure that the shocks are going to return to their original position.

Step 12 – Replace the locating plate and tighten the locating plate nut.

Step 13 – Stand back, grab a beer and admire you handy work.:thumbsup:

There are a couple of other posts around regarding this mod but if you feel up to it, this isn't a very hard job to do yourself.

It only took me approx 1hr to complete and there was a bit of time wasted looking for nuts that decided to hide in the engine bay.

Please let me know if you think i've missed something out.

Attachments

• Strut brace.JPG
    Strut brace.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 3,028
  • Brace installed small.jpg
    Brace installed small.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 6,799
  • Locating Plate and brace.jpg
    Locating Plate and brace.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 7,977
Last edited:

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
...or you could do what im gonna be doing when i buy bar for my race cars roll cage, buy a lil bit of extra, a couple of 3mm thick plate, and then just weld the bar to the plate, drill the holes in the right place, a bit of paint, and there you have it a 42mm thick homemade strut brace, probs 2 times better than anything you could buy :D

Panama

Reaction score
Members Ride
'87 VL Calais with L67
sparky,

will this work on a vs?

and whats the locating plate?

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry folks.. I moved that directory a long time ago.. Iforgot that I had it linked elsewhere..

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Thanks for this info. Had my old man helping me and he was convinced I would need to use spring clamps. I tried to assure him we didn't and I was right. You just need a high reach jack and some jack stands.

I fitted mine today and it was quite an easy process if you measure twice and cut once!

I put some anti seize grease on my drilled holes, screws and on the bottom of the brace to prevent corrosion.

People have said the brace doesn't fit under a VT bonnet, but mine did without any modification to the bonnet liner so I'm even more happy.

I just went to SuperCheap auto to buy 10mm high tensile bolts, 10mm washers and 10mm spring washers. I just had to file the brace holes a fraction to get the bolts to fit.

Mr Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV

http://home.alphalink.com.au/~nbaxter/strut/

have you got a part number for this $40 strut brace?and what modle Vy are they off.Im guesing a ss???

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
I can liink anyone to getting one of these Strut braces for $50 brand new from Holden in a box..