Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

installing xbox 360 in car

02DUBH

Reaction score
Members Ride
SENATOR
hey, i need help installing my 360 into my car.

i bought a power converter today,is this all i need to install it.

any tips would be awesome

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C2R TURBO 5SP + CRUNCH VE SSV 6SP
Did you make sure the invertor can evan run a xbox 360? you will need a pretty decent invertor. It will also need to be hard-wired

EDIT: Your going to need around a 400watt invertor with a min of 8 guage wire to the battery (Going off a couple of sites)

EDIT2: Some people just buy a DC-DC XBOX 360 adapter for the car.

02DUBH

Reaction score
Members Ride
SENATOR
the manager in store said the coverter i bought ( 300W) will be more than enough to run it
and the other two stores i went into also said 300W will be enough

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Did they sit down and work it out? also apparently it has to be a true sine wave invertor, not convertor.

This is from another site: Mechatroniks Car PC Kits :

I've received a bunch of emails regarding XBOX 360 Power, so here is what I have:
When I ran my setup, I borrowed a 750W True Sine inverter from work.

My 360 AC Power Brick has the following written on its label

Input 100 - 127V - 5A
Output DC 203W
12V @ 16.5A
5V @ 1A

So, the maximum AC input power is 127V x 5A = 635W

The total DC output power is (12V x 16.5A) + (5V x 1A) = 203W, which adds up to what they say.

My guess is the AC input power is max at 5A, but not nominal, I wouldn't expect the brick to be 203W/635W = 32% efficient. In other words, at 635W input, it would be giving off 432 W of heat.

Anyway, the question is how much inverter power do you really need? Well, anything over 635W would be the max. I'd say that 500W should work for sure. My best guess is that a 300W would be the absolute minimum that would work, but you are going to have to try it. Each inverter manufacturer is different, so a cheapo 300W may not work, but a good 300W inverter might.

Make sure you hard-wire it as well, cigarette lighters will have max amps which can go through them and a 360 will be way over that. Which stores told you 300w would be fine?

02DUBH

Reaction score
Members Ride
SENATOR
oh ok cheers for that, yeah i will give the inverter a go tomorrow when i try installing everything.

is there anything else i will need for this to work? is the inverter all i will need.

02DUBH

Reaction score
Members Ride
SENATOR
was told i can wire it to the cigarette wiring under the dash, this true?

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
with a min of 8 guage wire to the battery

Make sure you hard-wire it as well, cigarette lighters will have max amps which can go through them and a 360 will be way over that.

but with the wiring to the battery i would use a relay or fuse inline, no more than 30cm away from the positive terminal.

I really wouldent man, dont take the risk especially if its a convertor. If you do wire it up i dont think the 360 would evan turn on.

Does it have a ciggi light coming out of it? if so go plug it into your car and try and power somthing half-decent off it.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Use 8ga cable to wire up the invertor, and definitely use an inline fuse near the battery. I also have my doubts that it will run properly, but you never know you might get away with it. I hope for your sake you didnt go on the advice of someone from dick smith's or something... they really have no clue.

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Use 8ga cable to wire up the invertor. I also have my doubts that it will run properly, but you never know you might get away with it. I hope for your sake you didnt go on the advice of someone from dick smith's or something... they really have no clue.

I was thinking the same thing about dick smith