Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing your new memcal in your VN - VS Commodore (V6 & V8)

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Ok i'll post up some photos when i can, but it's easy to follow without pics. To be safe, disconnect your battery before doing all this. I am not responsible for any damage YOU do to your car. I have done this step by step a few times and never had a problem.

Step one: On the front passenger footwell on the left side, there is a plastic kickpanel, this is attached to the doorsill, with a bit of fidgeting and moving around, you can remove this kick panel and unclip it from the doorsill. If you own a grandpa spec VN to VS (100% bog stock) there is a good chance you will have a steel plate under this kick panel covering the ECU itself. Basically, this thing is a prick to get off, attack it as neatly as possible, but not too violently, as you could damage the ECU behind it. There is really no concrete instructions to getting this plate off. I haven't come across one so far, but they do exist.

Step two: Now you should have a steel box staring you in the face (the ECU) with 2 looms plugged into it. Remove these 2 looms by unplugging them from the ECU. They are held in by clips and it takes a bit of stuffing around but you will get them eventually.

Step three: The ECU is attached to the wall with 2 screws, just feel around the edges of the ECU and find them and undo them. The ECU should come free.

Step 4: One end of the ECU has a steel plate cover on it from VN to VR i believe that's held on by 2 tiny bolts, you can undo them easily enough with a small shifter etc, on the VS, there is a small plate that is held on by "security screws" i like to call them. You will need the correct heads to undo the VS ones. Either way, get the plate or cover off and the memcal will be staring you dead in the face.

Step 5: Unplug the memcal by undoing the clips that hold it in and remove. Plug your new memcal in (it will only go in one way).

Re fitting is the reverse of removal. I hope this helps out a few people. :thumbsup:

Any problems or questions, just post up and someone will help you out! It's all very straight forward though. Once you get the kickpanel off, you can pretty much figure it out as you go along.

Last edited:

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
you forgot to mention the metal plate/ cover

odds are you wont have this on the car still but there may be a metal shield sorta thing protecting/ covering the ecu, if so give up all hope cause its a bitch to get off, or do as i did and attack the damn thing with a hammer, pliers and a crowbar for an hour.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
haha the good old rivited on security panel allways fun to remove them rivits are hard as.need a good sharp drill bit and dont drill to fast or you will melt the tip of the drill bit

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
you forgot to mention the metal plate/ cover

odds are you wont have this on the car still but there may be a metal shield sorta thing protecting/ covering the ecu, if so give up all hope cause its a bitch to get off, or do as i did and attack the damn thing with a hammer, pliers and a crowbar for an hour.

Ahhh true, most should not have it but alot of grandpa spec VN to VS's will.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The panel is only on VP's, I think only like two guys I've done a memcal for ever has still had the plate on the car so it's pretty rare (mine still had it too)

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
The panel is only on VP's, I think only like two guys I've done a memcal for ever has still had the plate on the car so it's pretty rare (mine still had it too)

its a good club to be in.

Matt_vp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy lumina v6 A4
The cover was still on mine, was lots of fun getting it off.
Matt

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
why not use a large drill bit on a slow speed and effectivly shave the top of the rivet off? thats how I replaced the panel for my shifter assembly i my VS Auto (The panel int he floorpan, its just rivited in)

crawjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
hey guys, im just about to fit a 2.5" hi flow can and exhaust, considering extractors next week, do you think I should replace my ecu with something better or get my stock one re-tuned? What one should I get?

engine 3800 buick

cheers,