Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

instrument cluster - calais into exec

orbisfactor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive Wagon V6 Manual
will a calais instrument cluster fit into an executive without modification? and if so will it actually work since the fuel gauge is on the left (calais). also i've seen them on ebay and they always mention how many km's are on it, i don't wanna get one if its an issue. going to go to u-pull it in lonsdale tomorrow so i would like to know if, and what issues i'll encounter in doing this swap before i go there.

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
You have to modify the Wiring harness but I don't think it's to hard. Do a search theres some some good stuff about this topic on the site.

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Cluster yes, trip computer no.

My understanding is that the cluster instruments will work, provided you are using a VR/VS Calais/Berlina/Statesman cluster in a VR/VS Executive.

However, the trip computer needs a wiring mod to connect the trip computer and the trip computer buttons.

This mod has been done many times, including by me. If you like the idea, go for it. I have been very happy with mine.

orbisfactor

Reaction score
Members Ride
i like the look of the calais cluster over the exec cluster. will be a vr calais into vr exec

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
hey im from adelaide too and am doing the same to my car. i have a vs s so everything that i tell you just need to make sure is VR. if u want trip computer working which is why i added mine plus steering wheel controls you will need to find a calais statesman wireing loom. these are hard to come across by havent found one myself yet. as for the amount of kms on the digital read out there is a memeber on here from NSW which he can change the amount of kms to what ever you want it to read. he works for holdens electrical side. if u need more info i have tones of stuff let me

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Patch Cable!

For those having trouble sourcing a VR/VS Berlina/Calais/Statesman wiring harness to get the necessary connectors for the trip computer, there is a HSV patch harness available that provides the correct connectors. Still needs modification, but gives you the connectors needed.

Cost is under $100, so dearer than from a wrecker, but it is available.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
orbisfactor you say you are heading down to u pull it at lonsdale? can you tell me if you see or come across any good vs calais wrecked as i need some calais features for my s. fekason how do i get ahold of these patch harnesses as im in need of one

seabass

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina 3.8 M5
borgies in melbourne sell harnesses for $45 from a berlina/calais, i did the up grade wasn't that hard. the instrument clust will work but the trip won't unless the wiring harness is modified

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
Level 3 Patch Harness

Super Coach said:
orbisfactor you say you are heading down to u pull it at lonsdale? can you tell me if you see or come across any good vs calais wrecked as i need some calais features for my s. fekason how do i get ahold of these patch harnesses as im in need of one

The part number is 92049288, Harness ASM - INS.

RRP is about $96, and I got one for just under $80.

Please note that this does not provide a harness that just connects to the current vehicle harness. It just provides the necessary connectors and correctly coloured wires to allow a patch harness to be made.

orbisfactor

Reaction score
Members Ride
u-pull it had no calais at all, and only one of the commodores even had its instrument cluster, all the other were gone :( was a waste of time, petrol and money (costs $1 to enter the place)