Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Instrument Cluster Removal

RedHot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
How simple is it to remove the instrument cluster to replace the decal?

emmtee83

Reaction score
Members Ride
'84 VH SLE
Its pretty easy to do but a little fiddly. FOR THE VT......you have to remove the whole surround from the car, starting from the two screws either side of the ciggy lighter. then pop the surround out from around the gearstick (disconnect loom if you have power windows), unscrew screws at either side of the remaining part of the surround, just below the head unit, unscrew two screws from above cluster, and 3 screws from inside the kick panel where your fusebox is under the steering wheel. remove all looms from behind dash (headlights, hazard, trip comp and spotlights if you have them) and the job is almost done. from there, simply unscrew the cluster and remove the loom from behind it (located at the top). Pop the plastic cover off the front of the cluster, and remove the black panel also. taking note of where the needles are when you power down the car, remove the needles from the cluster. BE VERY CAREFUL THROUGH THIS PART.... they break easily! when the needles are removed, the decal peels straight off.

Putting it all back together is the reversal of the above, taking care not to press the needles in too hard. enough for the needle to grab the spindle plus a tiny bit more pressure is plenty.

Good luck....if you have trouble, let me know OR consult a Gregory's =)

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L

Richie B

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7
Its pretty easy to do but a little fiddly. FOR THE VT......you have to remove the whole surround from the car, starting from the two screws either side of the ciggy lighter. then pop the surround out from around the gearstick (disconnect loom if you have power windows), unscrew screws at either side of the remaining part of the surround, just below the head unit, unscrew two screws from above cluster, and 3 screws from inside the kick panel where your fusebox is under the steering wheel. remove all looms from behind dash (headlights, hazard, trip comp and spotlights if you have them) and the job is almost done. from there, simply unscrew the cluster and remove the loom from behind it (located at the top). Pop the plastic cover off the front of the cluster, and remove the black panel also. taking note of where the needles are when you power down the car, remove the needles from the cluster. BE VERY CAREFUL THROUGH THIS PART.... they break easily! when the needles are removed, the decal peels straight off.

Putting it all back together is the reversal of the above, taking care not to press the needles in too hard. enough for the needle to grab the spindle plus a tiny bit more pressure is plenty.

Just remember the air con vent is one with the dash so dont break it. i just did

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Just remember the air con vent is one with the dash so dont break it. i just did
Not sure what you mean by that, the centre air con vents are part of the dash surround and not physically connected to anything else.

Richie B

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7
Sorry, dash surround/facia as the aircon vent is screwed to it. I worked it a little to hard as it was bit stuck to. Now I'm looking for a new one with the fog light switch