Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Instrument Cluster - Series II SV6 Sportwagon

Menthol Moose

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Sportwagon SV6
Hi guys,

Picked up a new series 2 sportwagon a couple of months ago. Liking the car but the instrument cluster is a piss poor design IMHO.

I'm having a hard time reading my instrument cluster (speedo etc) during the day. With sunglasses on it's damn near impossible. I rely on the digital speedo.

Am I right in assuming the instruments aren't illuminated (during the day)?

Is there any way to have the instrument cluster illuminated without having the headlights on?

Hoping I'm making sense....

VooDooWagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SSV Sportwagon M6
Hi guys,

Picked up a new series 2 sportwagon a couple of months ago. Liking the car but the instrument cluster is a piss poor design IMHO.

I'm having a hard time reading my instrument cluster (speedo etc) during the day. With sunglasses on it's damn near impossible. I rely on the digital speedo.

Am I right in assuming the instruments aren't illuminated (during the day)?

Is there any way to have the instrument cluster illuminated without having the headlights on?

Hoping I'm making sense....

I looked into this cause it also annoys the hell out of me as well. I went to my local auto elec to see if he could wire up the dash cluster lights to stay on permanently.

He said it could be done, but because he hadn't done it before on an VE, he couldn't give me an exact quote. He said maybe between $200-$300. So I gave it a miss.

SSV Redline

You Ride I Ride
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SSV Redline Sportwagon
Got to agree with Snips, drive with your lights on. All our company vehicles area wired so the lights are on the moment you turn the key. Might stop Grandma Pickles from pulling out in front of you in her Maxda 808 - My first crash happened that way. Grandma Pickles argued in court that my silver jag was hard to see in daylight and the judge cautioned me to drive from now on with my headlights on.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Grandma Pickles argued in court that my silver jag was hard to see in daylight and the judge cautioned me to drive from now on with my headlights on.

Not really an issue I'm likely to encounter. If I'm honest, I keep mine on Auto - for the exact same reason as VooDoo (and use the dodgy digital speedo) - but I'm certainly not adverse to just leaving the lights on. They turn off automatically regardless.

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Is it just me or did people forget how to use a speedometer,

They have needles, Not sun dials...

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Is it just me or did people forget how to use a speedometer,

They have needles, Not sun dials...

VE SS speedo's are a pain in the rear to read. The center digi is far easier for day to day driving. Not sure if the series II is different. The E3 is better but not great.

Reaper