Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Instrument lights short

Commy1608

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs statesman Vt commodore
So basically was a bit careless and accidentally crossed over some wires while changing over my climate controls lights to an LED strip and it's shorted my instrument illumination, I've replaced the fuse so I'm guessing it's the actual wire I've shorted because my Leds still work and everything on my cluster still comes on bar the gauge lights, am I going to have to go over the entire wire to find the short or is it possible that it's in the fuse box it's self? Wanna get it fixed asap.

V6formethx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Auto Sedan + VE Commodore SV6 Man Ute
If you've been swapping out globes with LED's you might have one in the wrong way somewhere. An LED only lets current flow one way, if ones in backwards you are effectively blocking current flow on that whole circuit so even the ones in the correct way will not light up. Not sure how the globes are wired exactly to know if the whole cluster would be affected but I'd say it would be and if not it might lead you in the right direction. My next suggestion would be to check if the cluster has a fuse on the circuit board for it. Lots of electronics do have them inside and if it was a solid short you may have done enough to blow it. I have a broken one here and if you want to save pulling yours apart to find out if there is a fuse, let me know and I will rip this one apart and let you know for sure if there's one there before you dismantle yours and maybe find out it was a waste of time.

Commy1608

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs statesman Vt commodore
Thanks for the reply, I understand what you mean with them being the wrong way with the screw in ones on the cluster and just flipping them around. I changed the majority of the cluster lights awhile ago and ran into that problem. I had a mate that's a mechanic sort it out for me and It ended up being a faulty terminal in the fuse box, I tried swapping out the fuses myself for awhile didn't seem to work, he comes around runs into the same issue swapping them out and then all of a sudden Bob's your uncle and they lit up, bit frustrating but ahh well, it's working so can't complain

V6formethx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Auto Sedan + VE Commodore SV6 Man Ute
Always the last thing you'd think hey haha. Had a similar thing recently, did some work on the car and had engine light on afterwards, so of course I'm checking everything that I had touched and can't find a thing wrong for weeks. Turned out it was just a huge coincidence and it was a relay nowhere near where i was working even lol. Well, I can laugh now its fixed anyway, but it was doing my head in until yesterday. Glad ya worked it out anyhow.