Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Instrument panels wont illuminate

Big_Fudge

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
hey guys,

Just bought a VT about a week ago, with some gremlins. The entire centre console does not illuminate when driving with the headlights on. This includes the auto gear shifter, and the AC planel, the hazard light button etc. The guages (tach, speedo, and fuel) do work and so do the green/yellow light within the button for the AC and rear demister when activated. The previous owner had no idea what he was doing when installing a head unit, as it has no constant pwr, and switches modes when the headlights are turned on and off. Would the headunit wiring affect the all the other lighting?
I've checked the fuses and they seem ok. Can anyone suggest a good starting point, or give me some insight to whats wrong??

I can provide pics if required.

Located in western sydney.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Do your parking lights work? If not then I suggest you re-check the fuse marked "instrument illumination/park lights", top left fuse.

Big_Fudge

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Thanks but, the Parking lights work fine.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
as you have just bought the car i would suggest multiple blown globes

VX Exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Rip out the head unit, see what he's wired up and work from there.

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
With the lights on, can you adjust the brightness of the instruments with the dimmer switch. Try this hold it to full brightness and release the dimmer switch with a flick. Had an issue once in a VY and it turned out to be the switch

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
hey guys,

Just bought a VT about a week ago, with some gremlins. The entire centre console does not illuminate when driving with the headlights on. This includes the auto gear shifter, and the AC planel, the hazard light button etc. The guages (tach, speedo, and fuel) do work and so do the green/yellow light within the button for the AC and rear demister when activated. The previous owner had no idea what he was doing when installing a head unit, as it has no constant pwr, and switches modes when the headlights are turned on and off. Would the headunit wiring affect the all the other lighting?
I've checked the fuses and they seem ok. Can anyone suggest a good starting point, or give me some insight to whats wrong??

I can provide pics if required.

Located in western sydney.
Just wondering if he has wired up the complete power for the H/U to the dash/instrument illumination wire.
As said above, rip out the H/U and see how he wired it.

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
I'd take the head unit out and see WTF the previous owner has done in there.

A housemate I knew wired a head unit in with no constant power- just accessory power. And he did it with masking tape and twisting of wires together. The constant power wire was connected to the dash illumination light circuit instead...

Sounds a lot like you've bought a car off my old housemate........