Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Insurance for P Platers

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
That's your opinion. Just because some of us disagree doesn't make you right and us wrong.

Its not an opinion. Full comprehensive is the best type of insurance! Anyone who disagrees is a moron!

Whilst in some situations you could get away with 3rd party, thats assuming you don't need to call on that insurance! Have a crash, and your ****ed, paying a huge excess, and having no car! Full comp - pay huge excess, your car is full covered!;)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If you get an ABN and insure your car through that ABN and dont make any money through the ABN then you cant claim it as a tax deduction. All you would have to say is I have the abn and im hoping to do some work using that abn and this car will be used to get $ from my work.

I have an ABN however im a sub contractor so there is no problems for me but the gov cant stop you from having an ABN and not making any money through it.

Depending on the type of job you do, you might have problems going this way. If you are a tradey, where you need to have a car for your work, I can see it working for you. If you work in an office, it might not be so simple.

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
Depending on the type of job you do, you might have problems going this way. If you are a tradey, where you need to have a car for your work, I can see it working for you. If you work in an office, it might not be so simple.

Yes true. Which is why i would suggest that the OP cut a neighbours lawn and receives $20 through his ABN. He will have to pay tax provided he has earnt over the $6000 threshhold etc etc. He can say that his car was used to transport goods (safety equipment, petrol, etc) to and from the job site and thus using his car for business reasons.

Make sure you dont call AAMI or NRMA or any other big private company directly and ask about business insurance as they will rape you. I was quoted $3300 from AAMI. I called a private insurance broker and paid the $485. Note: The car is not insured in your name as such, rather insured under the name of your ABN.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
hmmm ok, well there are some people I know who pay like $600 for full comp a year, but thats because the policy is in their parents name and they are a secondary driver...although my mate drives his car 100% of the time, and yet it is still in his dad's name...maybe they are ripping the insurers off......

Thats how Im doing it. Im paying 500 a year full comp. I dont think my dad has ever driven my car. Hell I dont even live with him.

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
Yeh so after all that stuff i just said about getting and ABN etc etc, its 100% easier to just insure it in your old mans name with you on there as a driver. lol.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
Not at all. I feel your comment was a smart arse comment saying its 'only' a VS, not worth anything!

Full comp makes sense for anyone wanting to have full coverage. Finance or not, full comp is always the best option! Sure, after a year he could buy another car if he only had 3rd party for that year, but thats not the way to think about it! Keep in mind cars are worth different amounts in different places ;)

no full comp is not always the best choice. just because you decided to go with it, doesnt make it best all the time. and my comment had nothing to do with me saying his car was worth nothing. youre trying to give different meaning to what i said. its a VS and that most are worth less than 5k now. for a year or two of full comp insurance payments, hes almost better off picking third party and buying a second VS for parts.

Its not an opinion. Full comprehensive is the best type of insurance! Anyone who disagrees is a moron!

Whilst in some situations you could get away with 3rd party, thats assuming you don't need to call on that insurance! Have a crash, and your ****ed, paying a huge excess, and having no car! Full comp - pay huge excess, your car is full covered!;)

noone was saying that full comp isnt the best choice. of course it is. what people are saying is not everyone needs it. to insist that every car out there, even those worth $200, requires full comp insurance is more moronic. why are people ****ed if they crash on third party? with these cars, theres a good chance that the cost to fix the car will still be lower than a year of full comp payments. and if its a writeoff, probably still cheaper to buy another VS, or even just some VN for a couple of hundred dollars to replace it for a while

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
no full comp is not always the best choice.

noone was saying that full comp isnt the best choice.

Yes, you just did lmao!

As i said, THIS guy, for THIS car, his ONLY car, his best choice is full comp. Anything less is too high a risk!

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
fine ill reword, since the only way you can win an argument is to pick at contradictions.

full comp is obviously the best type of insurance there is, thats why you pay for it, but the cost isnt justifiable for everyone so third party is often the best choice for a lot of people.

anyways, as for this guy, and this car, full comp is a stupid idea. why should he be paying $3000 a year to insure a car thats barely worth more than that?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Why would he choose the highest amount? No-one in their right mind, who's done their research as this guy has, will overlook the 2200 amount and go with a 3000 one!

Full comp, for someone in his position, in need of always having a roadworthy car, full comp is the only choice!

The risk far outweighs the cost saving with 3rd party!

Don't want people to point out contradictions? don't post them ;)