Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Insurance for P Platers

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Don't want people to point out contradictions? don't post them ;)

No point having a semantic argument Stealthy.

Like most, I'm with stocky here, why would you pay $3000 to insure a car you could replace for $2000? You'd be better off just buying two of them and keeping one as a spare :p

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
No point having a semantic argument Stealthy.

Like most, I'm with stocky here, why would you pay $3000 to insure a car you could replace for $2000? You'd be better off just buying two of them and keeping one as a spare :p

2 reasons. Insurance is usually paid monthly! So its not seen as a cost of $2200 (you keep suggesting 3000, his best quote was 2200, which is what he'd go with)

What happens if one car gets smashed into? then he's down to one car. What happens if that one gets smashed into? That what insurance is for! Incase bad things (or bad drivers) happen.

Recommending for this guy to buy a spare car and forget about insurance is the most stupid thing i've heard!

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Its not an opinion. Full comprehensive is the best type of insurance! Anyone who disagrees is a moron!

Whilst in some situations you could get away with 3rd party, thats assuming you don't need to call on that insurance! Have a crash, and your ****ed, paying a huge excess, and having no car! Full comp - pay huge excess, your car is full covered!;)

What - anybody who disagrees with YOU is a moron? Cut it out Stealthy - your opinions aren't necessarily the only correct ones on this forum.

As long as you can't afford comprehensive, 3PPDO is the wisest and most practical option. Anybody who drives with NO insurance is a moron, but not being able to wear the high cost of comprehensive insurance doesn't make you a moron. You simply have to make a choice.

I would agree, however, that anybody who buys an older car, then spends a fortune on it with extras and modifications, (although its market value remains low), and doesn't insure it comprehensively for at least market value, is missing something up top.

And I think perhaps something else is being overlooked here. After paying the big bucks for comprehensive (and $2200 per year is considerably more when paid by the month - more like $2400-$2500), there is still the excess to consider. Generally, for a young and inexperienced driver, that can be another $1200 or so if you're at fault. By my reckoning, if you are in the wrong, you can have paid as much as $3,600 for a $5,000 payout, IF the insurer agrees that your VS was worth that much in the first place.

Sorry, the sums just don't add up.

Last edited:

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
He never said he can't afford ful cop, so none of your points have much to do with the thread.

I never said anyone who disagree's with me is a moron, i said anyone who suggests driving without insurance (buy 2 of the car instead) or anyone who says 3rd party gives you more coverage than full comp is a moron! Not to mention delusional!

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
full comprehensive is not worth paying at $2000 or more for my 97 VS S-Pack, I paid $5000 for it and in 2-3 years of paying that much I will have spent more on insurance than on the car, stuff that...it would be cheaper to get 3rd party, if i cause an accident or write off the car then it would work out in my favor to just buy a new car and pay the excess for the repair if needed on the other persons car...

I would only go for full comp if its under $1000 otherwise its not worth it...though i fully understand your point that full comprehensive is the best type of insurance, it just has to be mathematically applied and logically matched to the car and situation...

i would only pay 2grand for insurance if I had like a VE SV6 or something waaaayy more worth the money

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Like i said, you sacrifice cost for increased risk!

Some people go their whole life without ever having a car accident, yet some people are prone to it!

I look at insurance like a quote from a movie, I'd rather have it and not need it, than not have it and need it! (full comp i mean).

Most people look at it like, i've had full comp for 4 years, payed out $10,000, and never had a crash, what a waste! I look at the flip side of it, if the unfortunate had of happened, i would have been fully covered for every single day of that 4 year period!

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
2 reasons. Insurance is usually paid monthly! So its not seen as a cost of $2200 (you keep suggesting 3000, his best quote was 2200, which is what he'd go with)

What happens if one car gets smashed into? then he's down to one car. What happens if that one gets smashed into? That what insurance is for! Incase bad things (or bad drivers) happen.

Recommending for this guy to buy a spare car and forget about insurance is the most stupid thing i've heard!

Most people I know pay insurance annually because it's cheaper (and less of a hassle if you don't have yet another bill to pay each month).

We're talking about a car worth ~$3,000, and insuring it at more than 2/3rds the cost of the car - unless you're a really bad driver and crash the car every day (in which case your watch your premium skyrocket) you're probably going to be better off just paying for repairs out of pocket as they occur. Think about how serious the damage would have to be for the repair to cost >$2,200 on a VS? More than the average fender bender that's for sure.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Most people I know pay insurance annually because it's cheaper (and less of a hassle if you don't have yet another bill to pay each month).

We're talking about a car worth ~$3,000, and insuring it at more than 2/3rds the cost of the car - unless you're a really bad driver and crash the car every day (in which case your watch your premium skyrocket) you're probably going to be better off just paying for repairs out of pocket as they occur. Think about how serious the damage would have to be for the repair to cost >$2,200 on a VS? More than the average fender bender that's for sure.

But what if the car is written off? What if the car is smashed into by a different driver who is uninsured? Full comp covers these things!

I understand your point totally. It just seems like a stupid decision in this day and age not to have full comp! Keeping in mind you will still be paying 500ish a year for 3rd party anyway.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
But what if the car is written off? What if the car is smashed into by a different driver who is uninsured? Full comp covers these things!

I understand your point totally. It just seems like a stupid decision in this day and age not to have full comp! Keeping in mind you will still be paying 500ish a year for 3rd party anyway.

you sue them for the repairs.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
you sue them for the repairs.

Yeah, Cause $5 a week for the rest of their lives is really going to get you in a reliable car to work and back each day....

Full comp covers all those scenarios! As said, you get what you pay for. Pay for 3rd party, get 3rd party cover (or lack of)