Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Insurance for Young Drivers

Discussion in 'General' started by 1991_Vn2nV, Jul 19, 2006.

1. 1991_Vn2nV

1991_Vn2nV New Member

Members Ride:
    91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
    Just thought I would throw this out there in case anyone was interested...

As an 18 year old still on my P plates and having my license for under 2 years, im not a favourite of insurance companies, especially when I drive a VN Commodore, lowered, exhaust and with a sound system. But then, after getting my bodykit, my insurance with Allianz went through the roof on my 1991 VN Berlina... So I did a ring around to all the insurance companies today.

For those interested in 3rd Party Fire & Theft, I reccomend SGIC and Just Car Insurance.

Just Car insurance covered my bodykit for its value as I paid new, and also accepted other modifications on my car such as alarm, wheels, lowered suspension and sound system. The cost for coverage was $441 for the year, HOWEVER they would not cover my wheels if my car was stolen or damaged in an accident, they would only replace them with stockies. Also, Just Car Insurance will only take a full 1 year payment, you cant pay by the month.

SGIC do not cover my bodykit for a particular price, however they took down the details on the kit and said that if a bumper is damaged or the car stolen, then the relevant bodykit parts would be replaced. They also accepted wheels, alarm, lowered suspension and sound system. The cost was $478 per year, or $43 per month.

Several companies would not do 3rd Party Fire and Theft (such as Shannons and 'Young & Cool' insurance), whilst others would not cover drivers under 21 or 25 (depending on company) with modifications. The RAA have a department called H2P (Hard to Place) for those in a position similar to me, however they only cover modified cars for those under 25 if it is Full Comprehensive insurance.

All companies had similar excess fees for me, one for being under 20, another excess for being under 25 and I think there may have been one other as well.

So for those Under 21 V6 owners out there, the insurance isnt too bad if you find the right company.

1 person likes this.
  2. Bax

Bax Projecting

Members Ride:
    Nothing
    I'm going to give SCIG a call now and ask them about mine.

Justcars was probably the best for me with the turbo aswell, they seem to be the best of the ones that take on risky clients.

3. 1991_Vn2nV

1991_Vn2nV New Member

Members Ride:
    Yeah the turbo would be a b*tch to insure being under 25 :(

Stretchomatic likes this.
  4. vee ka

vee ka New Member

Members Ride:
    '85 HDT VK SS, '03 Liberty GT, '06 Forester XT
    i tried lots of places for my VKSS but out them all ( i mean about 7 companies even the one i have home and landlord insurance thru ) only two would even consider insuring it, everyone else said NO CHANCE!, one being SHANNONS and the other being JUSTCARS. i know mines different to the above couple mine being a V8 and a HDT but i got quoted $2495 per annum from shannons, and $1395 from justcars. a few things i had against me at the time tho were points on me license, not having insurance for many years and when i rang shannons i was under 25. justcars would also only insure it for $8500!! and i paid $11,000. i think its worth more than $8500, you couldnt buy one in the same condition for that much!!!!! i couldnt believe it!! :bang: i wish mine was as cheap as you guys!!

5. Stretchomatic

Stretchomatic New Member

Members Ride:
    86 VL Berlina M5
    wow man that is heaps handy...even though my vs is pretty much stock it's good to know if i want to 'do it up' later that i will be able to look after it, cheers.

6. corvette_tpi

corvette_tpi Guest

My mate just insured a worked vl turbo with Vigil, they were by far cheaper than anyone else. He is under 25 and on P plates, the insurance is full comprehensive, the car is valued at $8,000 and his premium is around $700 per year. Vigil was started up to deal with young drivers and are about the only insurance company that doesnt badly rip off under 25's.

7. 1991_Vn2nV

1991_Vn2nV New Member

Members Ride:
    Is Vigil Australia wide do you know? I didnt see them in the phone book. If they're australian wide I will give them a ring tomorrow myself..

8. burnz

burnz dah dut dut da dah

Members Ride:
    VFII SS ute M6
    food for thought
    find the best in any state/teritory
    and signup
    you dont have to live in the state/province to get insurance
    i live in nsw but have qld insurance. not hard google it

9. 1991_Vn2nV

1991_Vn2nV New Member

Members Ride:
    Cheers burnz... I just found Vigil on Yahoo and will give them a ring tomorrow and maybe update the thread...

Any1 else found any good insurance companies that I didnt come across in the SA phone book?

10. BoostinJet

BoostinJet Guest

The only insurance i could get on my car was with just cars, all the other wouldn't let me cas a turbo an i'm still on my p's

11. vy_storm

vy_storm just another moderator... Staff Member

Members Ride:
    VE Calais V 6L
    Not true, I tried to get insurance from companies based in NSW and they refused. That's not saying there are some that will insure you, it never hurts to ask.

You will most likely find that their pricing structure is based around post code and state statistics. If they don't pay claims in your state then that is why they probably can't cover you.

12. burnz

burnz dah dut dut da dah

Members Ride:
    VFII SS ute M6
    insurance in nsw is to dear state fire leve must be paid =$220
    ontop of normal pricing that is why i insure else were
    look at qld/nt/act a lot cheaper
    insurane broker can help find for a small fee

13. vy_storm

vy_storm just another moderator... Staff Member

Members Ride:
    VE Calais V 6L
    Companies I have tried in SA (some might be no good though in your circumstances) are SGIC, Mutual Community and CGU. Did try FAI years ago before they went bust but they are now called Allianz. Another which my dad uses is Elders insurance.

14. calais_304

calais_304 New Member

Members Ride:
    98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
    Im with just cars and im 20 on P's, payin roughly 1400 per year, excess is 600-700?? can't remember, and thats wit a few records of losing my licence for speeding and also get unlimited mods. not to bad me thinks

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  15. 1991_Vn2nV

1991_Vn2nV New Member

Members Ride:
    I rang Vigil today, but they were a good $200 a year more than SGIC and $250 more than Just Cars insurance.

So SGIC followed by Just Car are definitely the two insurance companies I reccomend for under 21 drivers with modified cars. :thumbsup:

16. Mr_Slim

Mr_Slim Personal Trainer

Members Ride:
    VP Calais Manual
    i rang SGIO and they said they don't insure people from NSW, only NRMA who are:
    a) expensive
    b) shithouse

so i rang justcars (im with AAMI atm) and for my car VP Calais converted manual, exhaust, lowered and CAI, the premium was $2279 and excess of $1300, and i'm 19 with 1 at fault accident under my belt

compared with AAMI of $1900 and $1700, but AAMI doesn't know about the manual conversion or CAI, i just told them it was manual, so i will have to change anyway

insurance sucks. well not if you need it, then its great. but otherwise? sucks :cry:

17. 1991_Vn2nV

1991_Vn2nV New Member

Members Ride:
    That must be full comprehensive insurance?

18. Torquen

Torquen Boost FTW

Members Ride:
    450+ HP FORD XR6T
    im 17. no demerit points, no accidents to my name. im with Just Car. $460 a year for third party fire and theft. with a $600 or $700 (cant remember exactley) excess. thats not bad considering iv got my car lowered, exahust, POD, custom dash, stero, neons. i called 6 companies when i was trying 2 find insurance and they were the only ones who whould insure me. all the uthas said i could only have on mod or that my car could only b lowerd 1 inch uthas wise i couldnt b insured. friggin ridiculous.

19. bennzy

bennzy New Member

Members Ride:
    2001 VX II Berlina GenIII V8 5.7
    my old car i used to own i had aami third party fire and theft, only told them i had one mod then one decided to call them up to let them know i had more mods cause i didnt want to have a accident and have to pay more or not be covered and in the end they told me i have till the end of when its due to get f***ed i only just payed for it to be renewed so that was ok but since i got another car in that time rang up just cars and for full comp on my new one it was only an extra 2 hundred dollars cause of wheels and spoiler and compared to if i got my old car with just cars. so its going to cost me $1460
    they were willing to sure a p-plater with a high powered car which i thought was interesting so yeah very happy with the price and everything is covered even the $4000 dollars for 4 wheels including tyres

20. Torquen

Torquen Boost FTW

Members Ride:
    450+ HP FORD XR6T
    not 2 bad at all m8