Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Insurance for Young Drivers

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Just thought I would throw this out there in case anyone was interested...

As an 18 year old still on my P plates and having my license for under 2 years, im not a favourite of insurance companies, especially when I drive a VN Commodore, lowered, exhaust and with a sound system. But then, after getting my bodykit, my insurance with Allianz went through the roof on my 1991 VN Berlina... So I did a ring around to all the insurance companies today.

For those interested in 3rd Party Fire & Theft, I reccomend SGIC and Just Car Insurance.

Just Car insurance covered my bodykit for its value as I paid new, and also accepted other modifications on my car such as alarm, wheels, lowered suspension and sound system. The cost for coverage was $441 for the year, HOWEVER they would not cover my wheels if my car was stolen or damaged in an accident, they would only replace them with stockies. Also, Just Car Insurance will only take a full 1 year payment, you cant pay by the month.

SGIC do not cover my bodykit for a particular price, however they took down the details on the kit and said that if a bumper is damaged or the car stolen, then the relevant bodykit parts would be replaced. They also accepted wheels, alarm, lowered suspension and sound system. The cost was $478 per year, or $43 per month.

Several companies would not do 3rd Party Fire and Theft (such as Shannons and 'Young & Cool' insurance), whilst others would not cover drivers under 21 or 25 (depending on company) with modifications. The RAA have a department called H2P (Hard to Place) for those in a position similar to me, however they only cover modified cars for those under 25 if it is Full Comprehensive insurance.

All companies had similar excess fees for me, one for being under 20, another excess for being under 25 and I think there may have been one other as well.

So for those Under 21 V6 owners out there, the insurance isnt too bad if you find the right company.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I'm going to give SCIG a call now and ask them about mine.

Justcars was probably the best for me with the turbo aswell, they seem to be the best of the ones that take on risky clients.

vee ka

Reaction score
Members Ride
'85 HDT VK SS, '03 Liberty GT, '06 Forester XT
i tried lots of places for my VKSS but out them all ( i mean about 7 companies even the one i have home and landlord insurance thru ) only two would even consider insuring it, everyone else said NO CHANCE!, one being SHANNONS and the other being JUSTCARS. i know mines different to the above couple mine being a V8 and a HDT but i got quoted $2495 per annum from shannons, and $1395 from justcars. a few things i had against me at the time tho were points on me license, not having insurance for many years and when i rang shannons i was under 25. justcars would also only insure it for $8500!! and i paid $11,000. i think its worth more than $8500, you couldnt buy one in the same condition for that much!!!!! i couldnt believe it!! :bang: i wish mine was as cheap as you guys!!

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
wow man that is heaps handy...even though my vs is pretty much stock it's good to know if i want to 'do it up' later that i will be able to look after it, cheers.

C

corvette_tpi

My mate just insured a worked vl turbo with Vigil, they were by far cheaper than anyone else. He is under 25 and on P plates, the insurance is full comprehensive, the car is valued at $8,000 and his premium is around $700 per year. Vigil was started up to deal with young drivers and are about the only insurance company that doesnt badly rip off under 25's.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
food for thought
find the best in any state/teritory
and signup
you dont have to live in the state/province to get insurance
i live in nsw but have qld insurance. not hard google it

B

BoostinJet

The only insurance i could get on my car was with just cars, all the other wouldn't let me cas a turbo an i'm still on my p's