Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Insurance!

T

tommi

Ok so here's the deal.
I rang up RACQ to get my car insured - 95 vs commdore executive. they were all sweet with it - quote was $357.10 but then i metioned that i had cold air intake, the lady paused bcoz she had no idea what i was talking about. Anyway, after going off o confer with someone else bout their policy, she came back on the phone and told me that they weren't allowed to insure the car as "this cold air intake business" is a risk that they could not allow or take. They refused to insiure me bcoz of it! did i just get a dumb bird or was she for real?
i know just car insurance can insure me coz they ain't fussed bout modifications. but they might b a lil more exy...

R

Rajah

I have found over the years that the most lenient insurance company has been the RACV. Both my old 6 cylinder VL and VR Berlinas had a few simple Mods - Wheels, exhaust, FE2 Suspension. They were the only mainstream insurer that would insure me. I had to supply a Pedders report in both cases. Some wouldn't even touch them as they had modified suspension, yet they'll insure a standard HSV. Keep ringing around. It sucks but that's what you'll have to do.

D

death-from-above

You should be right if your cold air intake is a factory one, most of the insurance company blokes wont know absolutely everything about what intake is on what car and if your in an accident and have the opportunity to remove it I would, i guess you could just run the risk of insuring with them and not telling them about it and just playing dumb if they do catch you and say it came like that from the factory. This can be very risky because they might not cover you but its up to you and what you feel comfortable with.

What shits me is the no modifications policy, I just dont understand why changing wheels to non standard is going to make a huge difference, it might be a little bigger but hell its still rubber on bitchemin, bloody insurance companies. Currently Im paying $1800 a year for full comp with AAMI as a rating three driver being 20. However i will get a 10% discount if I do the driving course which I was going to do anyway.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
QUOTE (tommi @ Jan 31 2004, 02:27 PM) but then i metioned that i had cold air intake,
don't tell them about stuff like that. a CAI is so subtle they're unlikely to ever notice, even if they assess it. in the unlikely event they find it and complain you can just say "that's a mod? wow, i had no idea... it must have been there when i bought it"

you can't try that with 19in mags and a 3in exhaust of course

P

pip75

Hey,
Try NRMA we found their premiums and what modifications you can have is really good. Suncorp quoted us $980 to insure our standard Vr with a few extras and we now pay $320 full comprehensive Give them a try you can get an idea by going to NRMA it will let you get a quote on line so you have a rough idea and what they will cover . They also go on your driving history no how long you have had insurance. Which is fairer I think.

Pippa

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I went to get a quote from suncorp and they woulnt isure me cause i had a body kit!?

B

blanch

Insurance is basically straight up robbery. How can it be in the times that we are in it is cheaper to insure a car that has smaller wheels which don't have as much gripping power, thus hold the road better. Suspension is another sore point, if you alter the ride height you get slammed with a massive premium, how can that be? Your car sits on the road better and has safer handling.

It does make your car more attractive and people do want your rims. (ie. stealing them) And that is enough to in some cases put an extra 50% on your premium (if your young) Thats way too much, i think that safer features should be rewarded.

Sometimes in the online insurance quotes you can put in air conditioning as a factory standard and them put it in as an after market feature and they change you more for the both of them, they're exactly the same. It sucks!

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
mods are associated with higher risk - they are supposed to make your car a better target for joyriders, and you a higher risk driver. that's why they charge more, it's not because they think the new rims are unstable or anything.

i don't comprehensively insure my car. admittedly it's a VN and not worth that much, i just go TPO. it's either parked in my drive or in a work car park 95% of the time so the theft risk isn't great (and i will get an immobiliser, i keep saying), and i drive good so i haven't had any major crashes.

saves me a bucketload (so far).