Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intake air box purpose/replacement.

Zaneotaylor

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice V8.
G'day holdeners,

Got a Wm caprice v8 (same intake as a ve ss I believe) and I was wanting to replace the convoluted tubing box thing that sits between the maf and throttle body.

Wanting to do this to make it look neater as well as mine has some wear and tear and the tubes don't sit very comfortably. I'll pop a pic in to make sure you guys know what I'm talking about, but is there a real use for this box? Heard it helps to reduce air intake noise or something? But with my car already having an exhaust would it matter? Sorry for the typing but I'd appreciate anyone's input. -Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20201109_190840.jpg
    IMG_20201109_190840.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 215

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Just change it for 4” tube. I bought one ages ago and swapped if out with zero difference in noise and performance. I think I bought it from VCM.

Seriously just save your money for an OTR there only around $550-580 atm

Zaneotaylor

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice V8.
Yeah fair enough, just been a bit of a money pit after rebuilding the trans $$$, appreciate it though!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yeah, it's some sort resonance box to make the engine intake quiet. As above, replace with a straight tube or some sort of OTR CAI for a decent intake noise.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
i did change mine from the boxy setup to pipe (used pipe from previous model- was a recommended thing before otr's came about) have since fitted otr (moons ago) have the and flex coupling in shed stored away, willing to sell if you want it, will get pics if you like, genuine holden part, bit more induction noise and a bit more response according to the bum dyno, used a k/n filter in stock airbox (still with pipe stored away)

Last edited:

Zaneotaylor

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice V8.
i did change mine from the boxy setup to pipe (used pipe from previous model- was a recommended thing before otr's came about) have since fitted otr (moons ago) have the and flex coupling in shed stored away, willing to sell if you want it, will get pics if you like, genuine holden part, bit more induction noise and a bit more response according to the bum dyno, used a k/n filter in stock airbox (still with pipe stored away)
Oh yeah actually if you want to send me a photo?? Just DM me mate I'm interested

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
manage to resize, have k&n filter too for stock box, pipe was from LS2 earlier model, the small seperate pipe just made fitting to VE easier etc

Attachments

• 20201117_100609pipe VE.jpg
    20201117_100609pipe VE.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 178

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
There was a thread about this not very long ago, I can't remember who it was that posted up a heap of info from a company that developed their own intake but kept the expansion chambers because they enhance performance as well as decreasing intake noise. They were sprouting black magic like reversion wave technology and pressure equalization in intake velocity.

Personally, I believe it's just for noise reduction. How a reverted pressure wave (as opposed to a reverted "sound" wave) can overcome intake velocity as well as get past the throttle body is beyond my comprehension. This website had dynographs proving performance increases over straight pipe too, but we all know dyno results can never be manipulated to show a desired outcome.