Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

intake

monkeywrench

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ss sedan
hey all i know this has been covered b4 but can some one please tell me how to do the 4 hole thing on the ve sv6 air box,iam still undecieded on what cai intake to get so was going to do this for a while thnx in advance

bm_style

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
is your car stock? if so dont bother it does nothing seriously. Car makers engeneer airboxes and snorkels. They go through so much testing for optimum performance.

the 4 hole mod is basically hacking up the airbox. You will get more induction due to the holes.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
there won't be much of an airbox with 4 holes in it....try the 2 hole mod

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
This may be a dumb question as I'm not sure exactly what this mod is, but I'm curious. Would this do anything at all? Wouldn't the air filter be the limiting factor? Surely some of that billion dollars went into researching the air intake and making the airflow enough for what the filter used can handle? Don't K&N make a higher flowing filter for the stock box (indicating the box can already flow more than the stock filter)? So holes before the filter wouldn't increase the flow or decrease the temp, and holes after the filter be just stupid as you may as well simply remove the filter (and be nasty to your engine)?

Like I said, I don't know. Just thought if a couple of holes makes things better Holden would have done it as it wouldn't cost anything. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

bm_style

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
its not a dumb question you are a wise man,
The hole will make the induction sound louder, but performance ways i doubt it will make any differance at all, if anything holes in the airbox will mean the engine will grab hot air from the engine bay which is not good.

Holden and other car companys do put allot of research/ time and money into intake settups as its a important point to a cars performance. I do know for a fact holden have put allot of research and allot of testing, I have a friend who works for holden who gives me all this info.

All you need is a clean paper filter, even K&N ones dont do anything. I owned a 200sx making 220rwkw and wacked the car on a friends dyno, put a 10 dollar ryco filter in got 220rwkw put a brandnew k&n and got the same power output, Allso tried this on a vs & vt ss did not make any difference. The only time intake settups will matter is when making allot of power and when the engine starves for air.

The other reason why i dont like K&n filters are they are oil based, what does a filter do? it filters out the dirt and little stones, dust etc.When a filter is oil base it attracts more dirt apposed to a paper based panel filter. You can wack a paper back filter on a brick wall and the dust will come of or just use a aircomp and she will be good as new. K&N's you cant do that you need to rewash and reoil which i belive allot of dirt is still stuck in the filter and you just reoil over it which means it will be even more restrictive.

I think its allot better to clean/ change a paper panel filter frequently than spend so much on a K&n and never change it.

Just my 5 cents.

Last edited:

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Awesome reply bm_style, thanks. What you say makes a lot of sense (and nice to see you've tested it :spot on:). I hadn't even considered the oil aspect of those filters, but yeah I see what you mean there too.

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Series II Sedan Manual & a VK in the build
its not a dumb question you are a wise man,
The hole will make the induction sound louder, but performance ways i doubt it will make any differance at all, if anything holes in the airbox will mean the engine will grab hot air from the engine bay which is not good.

Holden and other car companys do put allot of research/ time and money into intake settups as its a important point to a cars performance. I do know for a fact holden have put allot of research and allot of testing, I have a friend who works for holden who gives me all this info.

All you need is a clean paper filter, even K&N ones dont do anything. I owned a 200sx making 220rwkw and wacked the car on a friends dyno, put a 10 dollar ryco filter in got 220rwkw put a brandnew k&n and got the same power output, Allso tried this on a vs & vt ss did not make any difference. The only time intake settups will matter is when making allot of power and when the engine starves for air.

The other reason why i dont like K&n filters are they are oil based, what does a filter do? it filters out the dirt and little stones, dust etc.When a filter is oil base it attracts more dirt apposed to a paper based panel filter. You can wack a paper back filter on a brick wall and the dust will come of or just use a aircomp and she will be good as new. K&N's you cant do that you need to rewash and reoil which i belive allot of dirt is still stuck in the filter and you just reoil over it which means it will be even more restrictive.

I think its allot better to clean/ change a paper panel filter frequently than spend so much on a K&n and never change it.

Just my 5 cents.

If a oil basses filter is clean correctly, no dirt or debris should remain within the fabric weaves.

No additional dirt makes it into the intake basses on which filter is in use. The same amount would be present irrespective of paper or oiled.

Oil in the filter repels liquids, minamising water entering the intake, also traps dirt and grit preventing it from moving into the combustion chamber.

Paper requires regular changing
Oiled requires regular cleaning

That's the choice really.

Dave