Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intercooler pipe size

Blakvsexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0L VS EXECUTIVE
Hi,

My turbo has a 2.5" outlet, do i keep everything the same size or go up larger??
I can get an intercooler and piping thats all 2.5", or i can do it all in 3".

The only problem i see is i'll have to step it up for the throttle body and also for the MAF sensor if i run all 2.5" piping, And i wont if i run all 3".

Thoughts anyone please.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
You would be alright with 2.5" piping.

I don't reckon you'll notice any difference one way or another. 3" might be the go if you decide to go mental later on.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
due to the system being under pressure (boost) the air is forced into any gap any size
so as long as you dont go SMALLER than throttle body inlet OR turbo OUTLET than all will be well

Blakvsexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0L VS EXECUTIVE
I have been doing a bit of research on this topic and it seems the popular choice is as follows.

The same size piping as your turbo outlet from the turbo to the intercooler.
Then the same sie pipe as your throttlebody from the cooler to the throttlebody.
So in my case, 2.5" from the turbo to the intercooler, and then 3" from the intercooler to the throttlebody.
This keeps things nice and simple when it comes to placement of the MAF sensor as i dont have to put reducer/expanders in the piping.

So i'll be using a half and half mix of 2.5" and 3" intercooler piping with a 3"in/outlet intercooler.

Hope this helps out anyone else who is after this info.