Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intercooler question

Sphinx

O.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais II LS1
Had a bit of a look on the web to try and find out if it's viable to intercool an NA engine, but there's nothing really out there. On hot days I can see the benefit of cooler air in the intake but as the air inside the intercooler is generally compressed by either a turbo or blower, is it possible with an NA engine and has anyone seen it done.

Comments??

deathsminion

Chrgd,Coold,Twinthrot'in
Reaction score
Members Ride
GT42R forced JZA80 Supra and VT Wagon
I've seen it done on an EF falcon. I wouldn't swear by it either way to be honest. An air to water setup might have some visible gains though, on a hot day.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
I couldnt see any benefit as the cooler will just be another restriction on the way to the engine. Also the engine coolant will be way above the ambient air temp & will only warm the air. Better having a good OTRCAI & have the intake air at ambient.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
the only way an intercooler works well on a s/c and turbo engines is because going through the process of compressing the air in both applications creates alot of heat and the intake temps go through the roof...sometimes to the point where while there might be alot of boost, the excess heat cancells out any gain, even loosing hp sometimes.
so having an intercooler on forced induction engines is basically a way to have your cake and eat it to (so to speak). its just not feasable for a n/a engine though.