Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intercooling vs water injection

VNV6VENGEANCE

VeNgeance
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Turbo
I am currently looking at either intercooling or water injecting my s/c'd engine. I have heard that intercoolers are not neccesary but they would make the car look nice and obviously cool air temps into the inlet manifold. Is it worth me intercooling it as opposed to water injection...? Heard so many mixed opinions about this subject.... Also if you know any businesses in adelaide that you would recommend please make them known.:thumbsup:

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
I am currently looking at either intercooling or water injecting my s/c'd engine. I have heard that intercoolers are not neccesary but they would make the car look nice and obviously cool air temps into the inlet manifold. Is it worth me intercooling it as opposed to water injection...? Heard so many mixed opinions about this subject.... Also if you know any businesses in adelaide that you would recommend please make them known.:thumbsup:

Either will achieve cooler intake temps, I suspect that the intercooler would be cheaper, might as well have a shop around and see what you can find. Any forced induction system will heat the intake charge, while the relatively small pressure change in a S/C commo won't heat it massively, it will still benefit from cooling and is a particularly good idea if your long term plans include higher boost pressure.

VNV6VENGEANCE

VeNgeance
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Turbo
Either will achieve cooler intake temps, I suspect that the intercooler would be cheaper, might as well have a shop around and see what you can find. Any forced induction system will heat the intake charge, while the relatively small pressure change in a S/C commo won't heat it massively, it will still benefit from cooling and is a particularly good idea if your long term plans include higher boost pressure.

Well my plans are to cool it first then work on gettin it to 10psi. Intercoolers are more expensive as they require the intercooler itself then piping to be plummed. water injection is around 350-400 and intercooling is 700+. I have done my homework on this one but the only thing i don't know is which is the better option for power....

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
The big bonus to the intercooler is that you don't have to keep topping it up. With the water injection system, you've gotta keep pouring water into the tank...I'd be lazy and just go for the intercooler, especially since it's only going to be running 10psi, no need to go nuts with it.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Intercool it, then you can then go straight to 10 psi. You should just copy VP:driving:Lukes car since it's the most powerful VN/P with a sc14. Cooler, injectors, 2 bar map sensor, 2 bar tune, tiny tiny pully I'm sure he will tell you all about it over the next few days if he's not too drunk from the after party :thumbsup:

You really have no option but to intercool it if you want crazy power from a supercharger on 10psi, they make the air super hot

PS The driving smiling man is almost exactly how a 10psi sc14 with cooler goes :)