Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Interesting ebay find, " it is the FIRST EVER Holden VN"

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
It makes sense that it was the (an) aero test mule for the TWR developed VN Group A but not that it was "the 1st VN ever produced".

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
I would say it may be legit. Centre air con vents are similar to the ones Holden used in pre production of the VN. They changed just before the VN started selling. Has the series 1 engine too. Not sure whats going on with the thermo fans though.

They ruined it with the stickers though.

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
Yeah i would think the same, pre production, but not the first. Good spot on the vents!

I suspect the thermo fans are the same deal as that silly pod filter placement and the stickers... The current owner "modifying" it.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Yeah i would think the same, pre production, but not the first. Good spot on the vents!

I suspect the thermo fans are the same deal as that silly pod filter placement and the stickers... The current owner "modifying" it.

Yeah, think it may be legit as a "test mule" but not as the first VN. Even IF it was assembled as parts, the UK would not be Holden's first choice of place for assembly for a car that was at the time, the company's last ditch effort on a family sized car.

There where plenty of test mules while the VN was being developed. Most were scrapped or smashed according to the official story in the book "Project VN"
There were test mules in America, but none are mentioned about being in the UK. TWR or otherwise. I'd say it started life as a test mule here in Australia, then was shipped to the UK for the bodykit work a few months before the VN's release in 1988.

There's no other reason to have a test mule over there, Holden brought the Opel senators to Australia for measurements and tests, long before a shell for the VN was made. So that rules out a mule being built in Australia and assembled in secret in the UK for measurements and design.

Also, the first of the VN shape where built on the VL body, and the inconstancy's of the two designs where easy to spot. Especially around the rear 1/4 windows and vehicle wheel track length.

So, first VN - No. Surviving "test mule" - a possibility.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I'd want to see the serial number for the body (before the VIN is made for the car)

The production of the test mules for the VN started around L273550. Production in the early L291000 range.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Good point 88GreenVN.

I'm still of the opinion its a test mule. Nothing else.

The questions in bottom of ad seem to sound like it was only there to test bodykit and panel alignment. Probably didn't even have a engine. (probably put in by current owner who painted it the Subaru blue colour)

As for the statement in the ad: "Holden deny it even existed" seems like crap to me. They probably knew of its existence, but not as a road car. Probably where expecting TWR to smash it into a cube after the VR was released.

Also, it has different side mirrors on it. Just noticed them, there not off a VN.

Last edited:

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
I'd want to see the serial number for the body (before the VIN is made for the car)

The production of the test mules for the VN started around L273550. Production in the early L291000 range.

you should message the dude tell him where to look, would be cool to find out...

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Seller would probably say: doesn't have one, custom TWR build, never had one. They only fitted them after this prototype was built.

Or some other rubbish like: was removed when it was painted.

Seller won't disclose any information about this car. Unless you want to buy it. And why would you?
End of the day, its an unfinished VN V6 with a bodykit and its unable to be registered in Australia.
Should have been scrap metal long ago. The seller stating: "its the Australian equivalent of a Ferrari" is such horseshit.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Having said all that, if it was a VL. Someone would have bought it by now......