Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Interior Light Dramas

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
I've recently got a small but annoying problem with my VY SS. The interior light won't turn off!

When I close the door, it gets slightly dimmer but doesn't turn off. Even when I flick the switch to OFF, it gets slightly dimmer but won't turn off! The only time it turns off is after I've locked the car. Last night it was annoying me that much, that I just pulled the globe out while I was driving. :b:

Any ideas what it could be? The only thing I can think of is a couple of months ago I wired up a new stereo and put new speaker wires through those rubber grommets that go into the doors. Eveything's been fine until now though, so I doubt that's what it is.

Any help would be appreciated...:thumbsup:

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Geez, don't all answer at once! ;)

I just thought of something else it might be. As many of you would probably know, I've had Phreddy's blue dash mod done late last year. As part of this, he also changes the LED's in the headlight switch. I doubt it, but does the interior light circuit have anything to do with the dash lights or headlight switch?

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
sounds like the wire that connects to the door switch. same problem happened to me when installing my alarm. i even had the light getting dimmer when i closed the door problem. turns out that i had my door sensor and bonnet sensor spliced into the same wire for my alarm. the bonnet sensor had moved, so it was always on, and this caused my light to stay on. is there anything in your car that is connected to the door sensor switch?

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Na, definately not.

Unless I've somehow damaged the wires that go to the door sensor switch while I was shoving the speaker wires thru that rubber grommet? Maybe the damaged wires are earthing out on something?

Buggered if I know, hope someone can help...

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Dave, we need to catch up I think. I can wave the multimeter probes over a couple of things....

Cheerz Mate, mail me.

BottFodder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega II
Davey,

I haven't been on the forum for months but I had the same issue. Local mechanic traced it to a problem above the B-Pillar. Manufacturing "fault" pinches the cable and forces it to earth - keeping the light on.

I had the same reaction - trying to pull the globe out @ night sucked!

Cheers

Bottfodder.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
BottFodder said:
Davey,

I haven't been on the forum for months but I had the same issue. Local mechanic traced it to a problem above the B-Pillar. Manufacturing "fault" pinches the cable and forces it to earth - keeping the light on.

I had the same reaction - trying to pull the globe out @ night sucked!

Cheers

Bottfodder.

BottFodder! Finally someone who may be able to help!

So tell me more. Is it something I can find/fix myself? Ummm (at the risk of sounding really dumb) which one is the B-Pillar again? Just the centre pillar? Driver's side or passenger side?

Phreddy, I'll send you an email right now. :thumbsup:

jthompson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11 SS V8
VY11 Ss light issue...Did this work??

We are having same problem? Have checked everything replacd all fuses and cant get the bloody light to turn off?

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
Here you go guys,check this.

CONDITION
Interior light fuse (number 6) blows or interior lights
stay on.
DIAGNOSIS HINT
If presented with a vehicle having either of above
conditions, it is recommended that the following
areas be inspected (in the order shown) for possible
wiring damage prior to performing the standard
diagnosis.
1. The driver’s and passenger’s sun visor pivot
area.
2. Rear map lamps (above the passengers doors).
3. Passenger door light switch circuit trapped
behind the PCM / PIM mounting bracket.
4. The wiring around the key reader slip ring.
5. Door sill screws holding the sill trim panels on.
6. Upper B pillar, B pillar trim clips or seat belt
bracket.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
which one is the B-Pillar again? Just the centre pillar? Driver's side or passenger side?
A pillars are front pillars, B pillars are the middle ones, and C pillars are the rear ones :)

The wiring for the interior lighting goes up the drivers-side B pillar, and there's a plug/socket mounted to the edge of the headliner.

Start by removing the lower B pillar plastic trim, carefully fold back the door seal and pry it away from the pillar 1-2 inches from the top with a flat blade screw driver to disengage the two clips.
Then remove the upper B pillar trim, two screws at the bottom, one screw at the top (under a small plastic cover).
I think you might have to remove the A pillar trim to access the plug - first remove the grab handle (1 screw each end under a flip-out cover, and two christmas tree clips) then remove the A pillar trim (a number of clips holding it on). If you need to, remove the drivers side sun visor (torx screws) so you can pull the headliner down a bit to get at the plug.

If there's no short at the wiring leading up to the roof, but the wiring in the roof is shorted it's either the wiring in the headliner or one of the lights. If there is a short in the wiring leading up to the roof, check all the places in whitey66's post above^. Otherwise:

First remove all the light assemblies and test for shorts. It's unlikely that it would be the light assemblies themselves (imo) but it doesn't hurt to test because you need to remove them to get at the headliner anyway! If you have the map lights in the rear (C pillars), check that none of the plugs have come loose and are shorting out against the roof.

To remove the headliner you need to remove the main interior light, sun visors and all the A, B and C pillar trims (and rear seats to get to a scrivet that holds the C pillar trims in) and the trim that goes above the back window. Then recline the front seats all the way and remove the headliner out one of the back doors - be careful to bend it as little as possible!

Last edited: