Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Interior light playing up

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
I recently posted this in another section, but had no responses. Hopefully someone here can help...

I've recently got a small but annoying problem with my VY SS. The interior light won't turn off!

When I close the door, it gets slightly dimmer but doesn't turn off. Even when I flick the switch to OFF, it gets slightly dimmer but won't turn off! The only time it turns off is after I've locked the car. Last night it was annoying me that much, that I just pulled the globe out while I was driving. :bang:

Any ideas what it could be? The only things I can think of is:

1. A couple of months ago I wired up a new stereo and put new speaker wires through those rubber grommets that go into the doors. Eveything's been fine until now though, so I doubt that's what it is.

2. I've had Phreddy's blue dash mod done late last year. As part of this, he also changes the LED's in the headlight switch. I doubt it, but does the interior light circuit have anything to do with the dash lights or headlight switch?

Any help would be appreciated...

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hey Dave - bloody wierd!

Never known anyone else to experience such problems - that being said though, I'm totally cool if you want to catch up sometime and I'll just double-inspect my work. I could also check a couple of potential trouble points as well. If it's my fault, then I'll definitely fix it - if it isn't, I'll do my best to correct it anyway - just shout a six pack and we'll split it, that works for me! :thumbsup:

EDIT: BTW, if it IS my fault, the six pack's MY shout!

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers Phreddy.

Like I said, I doubt it has anything to do with your mods.

Hopefully someone else here can help me solve this one (where are all the budding auto electricians out there?) if not, we'll hook up like you said.

Does anyone know if/where I can get circuit diagrams for a VY SS? I just wanna have a look at the interior light circuit...

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hey Noodle - heh, cool handle!

Not sure Mate - I think in the VS I had some years back the light dimmer was a "two position" kind-of thing, with a preset "dimmed" or "normal" setting. In Dave's car it's a spring loaded two-way actuator (as it is in mine), one direction gradually brings the lights up brighter, the other direction fading them down. I'm pretty sure the actual "dimming" is controlled by the BCM - that's an assumption I'm making mind you, but it makes sense to me. ;)

Truth is it could be one of many things - a relay, a flaky door switch, some moisture or muck in the switch on the dome light itself, and those are just the first things I'd be looking into. It could even be a BCM fault, but I feel that'd be pretty unlikely.

Anyhow, Dave - let me know how you go, and if you need to catch up.

Cheerz!

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
Do the dash lights dim and brighten when you turn ths switch?that dimmer setting may broken and stuck in the dome light "on" position and the bcm turns it off automaticaly when you lock the car.it then turns it back on when you unlock the car.
maybe the bcm not turning it off when you put the key in and turn it also.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
maginoodle said:
Do the dash lights dim and brighten when you turn ths switch?that dimmer setting may broken and stuck in the dome light "on" position and the bcm turns it off automaticaly when you lock the car.it then turns it back on when you unlock the car.
maybe the bcm not turning it off when you put the key in and turn it also.

Hrrm. I'm not familiar with the one in the VS, though I have heard of this problem with the VS. Yes the dash lights dim & brighten when you move this switch, but the switch has no control over the interior dome light. (Unless I'm seriously missing something??) Appreciate your input anyway maginoodle.

I had a bit of a play yesterday (with my limited auto electrical knowledge) and I'm still buggered if I know. It STILL just wants to stay on! :ranting:

Phreddy, I think I'll let you have a look. I'll shoot you an email soon. Failing that (I didn't wanna have to do this) I'll have to take it to my dealer. Or should I just take it to an Auto Electrician?