Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Interior Painting

liltez94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Ok, I'm new to this website and to be honest I cant be bothered going through all the old threads about painting my VZ interior...
I've pretty much already sussed out how to paint my interior, buffing, primer, wait a bit, next coat, blah blah. I'm really just chasing tips I guess. My VZ is blue so originally I was going to just go over the interior with the metallic gun metal grey colour but now I'm thinking maybe I could try something else. Any suggestions? As I said, I was just chasing some tips from people who have done it before and what paints do and don't work.

Cheers

<andy9>

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ R8 6.0LTR M6
Scrub the sh#t out of it with wax an grease remover. Years of build up of cleaners like armour all contain silicone and it will destroy the paintwork. Also alot of patience, don't rush anything.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
most of your surfaces that you are likely to paint are actually already painted so getting too excited about sanding, undercoating etc is not required. Buffing pads to just rough the surface a bit is all that's necessary.

As above, prepsol the **** out of it to get rid of contaminants as well.

Oh I had my Clubsport done by a panel shop and baked in their oven, came up great and was cheap ($80 for both parts).

attachment.php

attachment.php

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
dont stress too much with prep. red scitchbrite dipped in prepsol and scrub it all till its matted off then wipe fresh prepsol over it with wet and dry rags (wax on wax off)

for my rhd conversions i use a matte acrylic grey or black and get the paint shop to add a "plasticiser" which gives it some rubber. feels much nicer than just regular paint.

also plasti-prime is your friend. dont go sparing on it. thick as fk over everything.

use 2k paint on hard plastics and use acrylic+plasticiser on soft stuff. dont bother with that VHT vinyl dye. its not dye at all, just acrylic with plasti in it so its much cheaper to get it mixed yourself.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do you have pics of the results ari?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
apologies for some of the shitty pics, i dont have any better ones. i dont really take pics of the finished product.

fresh painted camaro dash:
426100_10151251929186402_1897455540_n.jpg

2k centerconsole on jesterarts old HSV:
46D1AA0F-FB27-4FE5-86A3-EF9511F42784-1371-0000019C52344492.jpg

ZF mustang. the speedo surrounds done in 2k the dash itself in acrylic+plasti:
F82B47E7-979B-45C1-8293-FF3920D6125B-548-000000CB38FD3F68.jpg

chevy silverado in acrylic+plasti:
DSC04491.jpg

VK commo, with the speaker grilles off a later model. grilles done in 2k solid white (poor choice of colour in hindsight) trims were blue but done in VHT vinyl "dye"
100_4318.jpg

VK interior completely done:
100_4292.jpg

VK transmission surround done in 2k black with a touch of blue perle added:
100_4275.jpg

VK center console done in 2k solid white:
100_4268.jpg

impala dash all done in 2k solid beige:
100_3741.jpg

liltez94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Thanks for the info, I wasn't expecting a reply so quick. I was actually considering going to an auto-detailing place, but living in a small town and being a female, getting ripped off is expected to happen, considering its $300 to re-line my roof -.- . I hadn't thought about the grease and oil soaking into the dash, kind of common sense but... I'm really mainly dreading pulling it apart and putting it back together.... without breaking anything...

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride

nyteshyft

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Series II Commodore Sportswagon
Don't worry about prep? Are you serious? The better the prep, the better the outcome. Note: when prepping and painting, don't put wax, gel, hairspray in your hair, wear a hat, as there is silicone in shampoo, wear dust free and thinner resistant gloves or prepsol your hands before you start working, don't wear perfume or body spray. The cleaner you are and the environment you are working in and the parts you are working on, the better the result. If done properly, you won't need to cut or polish it at all.
Step 1. Dismantle what you want painted.
Step 2. Prepsol (Wax and Grease Remover) everything.
Step 3. Use Red Scotchbrite or 1200 wet to sand the parts. Make sure there are no shiny bits, as paint will flake off.
Step 4. Blow all dust off with a compressor whilst rubbing lightly with a blue tack rag. (Don't use yellow tack rags, they are too sticky and leave residue behind)
Step 5. Prepsol again. Personally, I would use Thinners instead of Prepsol as it's better at removing contaminants, but be careful it doesn't eat the plastic, test on the underside of it first if you're going to do this.
Step 6. Mask up anything you don't want paint on. Don't be tight when purchasing masking tape, you don't want it peeling off as soon as paint touches it.
Step 7. Prepsol again.
Step 8. Spray everything you want painted with Plastic Primer, pay close attention to edges, let it flash off (dry but tacky, if it's 25 degrees with little to no humidity then this would take about 40 seconds) then do it again.
Step 9. Once the Plastic Primer is dry you apply your basecoat (colour), spray evenly, make sure your overlapping is about 70%, don't be afraid of putting it on, basecoat should be applied fairly wet. Let it flash off, when it's still sort of wet apply the second coat. Once second coat is applied, immediately turn the pressure down on the gun a smidge and apply a 'half coat' by pulling half the trigger, this will get rid of mottle or patchiness. 2 and a half coats, if done properly, is all you need, the more paint you have on your part, whether it be plastic or a panel, the more likely it will bubble, separate, crack, fade and/or flake off.
Step 10: Once the basecoat is dry, apply the clear coat. Let it flash off, apply another coat. Try not to get any runs.
Step 11: Bake it. (If you have a bathroom with those heat lights, sit them under that, otherwise place them somewhere not humid for 24 hours. I wouldn't sit them in front of a heater due to the fact that it will blow dust and **** on to your freshly painted work.)

You don't need to add Plasticiser to the basecoat or the clear. Plasticiser is designed for bumper bars and flexible parts. Plasticiser makes the paint flexible, it does this by not letting it dry completely. It's crap stuff. I would only use plasticiser on my front bumper bar to prevent stone chips.

You get what you pay for when it comes to materials regarding painting. Don't use Motorspray. I recommend Standox, it's the most user friendly and is moderately priced. Only use 2k products. Stay away from acrylic, it's outdated for a reason. Before painting stuff, I recommend you practice application, get a large area, ie. an old door or a large bit of cardboard and practice your overlapping and speed. By doing this you will less likely get runs and dry patches.

Hope that helps. Sorry for the essay. ;)

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
Don't worry about prep? Are you serious?

I was more referring to the fact that you don't need to go crazy on undercoats and sanding etc at it is already a painted surface. Most people don't realise that that drab grey colour on their dashes IS paint.

Plastic Primer is overkill, colour and clear then bake is enough.

If you want to do it yourself and need practice, maybe go into the wreckers and ask for an old dash piece that might even be cracked or broken already, junk to them practice for you.