Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

intermitant transmission problem

achimw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 ss
The autotransmission in my VT II SS started to play up.
70 % of the time it is fine and changes the gears at about 2000rpm
at normal driving but sometimes it is changing the gears much later (4000rpm with the same amount of accelaration)
and I have to take the foot of the accellerator for it to change.
When this happens and I take the foot of the accelerator and roll down a hill the engine warning light comes on and goes off when I accelerate.
I took it to holden to check the computer log but it came up clear.
I put new transmission fluit (dextron 3) and filter.
Should I be using different fluit ?
Thanks
achimw

oztech007

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VE SSV 6.0t V8 A6 SEDAN
You may have a problem with your shift solenoids. I had a similar problem on my VS Trans. It would stay in 1st for ages and then suddenly change into 2nd. Took it to a good transmission place and they replaced the Shift 1-2 Solenoid and all was good.
Not a big job. Just requires them Dropping the Pan, and Changing the Solenoid. Maybe they may have to remove the Valve Body. It shouldnt cost anymore than $300-400 in total.

Hope this helps.

achimw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 ss
The problem is the shift between all the gears and the engine seems to idle a touch faster.
When stoping in drive it uses 2.8-3.2 litres/hour when the transmission plays up and when normal 2.2-2.6 litres/hour.
Thanks anyway
achimw

VT_Boi

VT Holden By Design
Reaction score
Website
www.sunshinecoastcommodores.net
Members Ride
VT Holden By Design
Solenoids need to be changed by the sounds of the problem. Good luck I had my car off the road for 3 weks due to a auto problem, which took them ages to find out what it was.....turned out to be the valve leaking. :bang: