Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intermittant spark on number 2 cylinder

Tom Vickers

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series 3 5.0 ute
I need some help diagnosing an issue. I have a vt series 1, 304 V8 and up until a few days ago was idling smooth and running really well.

About an hour into a drive the engine light came on and I could feel a noticeable miss, lack of power and the tacho is not functioning properly.

The tacho seems to sit at same revs then shoot up to where the revs actually are.

Then engine light went off but symptoms remain. When pin 5 and 6 bridged it shows 12, all fine.

I put a timing light on and every cylinder has spark but number 2 cylinder seems to be intermittant.

I replaced coil, coil lead, number 2 spark plug, number 2 plug lead, ignition module. (I replaced these as I had the parts on hand)

Car ran a lot better (but still not 100%) for 10 min then back to rough idle and no power due to only 7 cylinders firing most of the time.

Any ideas would be appreciated before I tackle the head f##k of the distributor.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
when was the last time it got a cap and rotor its usually the distributor on a 304 as typical holden its hidden ,we know why they did that to prepare us for that posv6.

Tom Vickers

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series 3 5.0 ute
Probably never. The cap and rotor are next on my hit list as I work my way back to the ecu. I was really hoping it wouldn't be distributor related though, such a pain in the arse to work on.