Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intermittent charging problem

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
Hey guys, been a while haha.

I've got a problem with my vp, basically the alternator stopped charging the other night just before I got home. I tested it over the weekend and the battery was ok (12.3v), And the alternator was charging too (14.something v). Then I started it up today, when I need to go to work, and the alternator wasn't charging again.

I was going to replace the alternator, but before I do, I just wanted to check here to see if you guys had any other opinions on it?

Cheers, Christian

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
It could just be the brushes. Remove the negative battery lead and take the regulator out of the alternator and see how long the brushes are. If they are only around 5 or 6 mm long there worn out. You can buy them for about $10 and solder them in yourself which is much cheaper than a new alternator or even a new regulator. Don't believe an auto elec if they say that when the brushes are worn you have to change the whole alternator or the whole regulator. I have replaced just the brushes a few times and never had any trouble. Just give the alternator a spin with the regulator out and see if the bearings sound OK and are not loose first. If they also need replacing just take the rotor out and go and get the auto elec to repless on a new one and buy a front bearing off him as well. This will save you heaps.

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
thanks for the help mate, i just pulled out the regulator and got the following (5mm on highest side, 2-3mm on lowest):

vp_regulator.jpg

i'm not sure what the brushes are meant to look like but these look pretty stuffed to me!

sorry to be a bother, but where'd you get the brushes from? just repco or something? i also found them on ebay: BOSCH ALTERNATOR VOLTAGE REGULATOR BRUSHES SUIT RE60 (eBay item 130121298796 end time 15-Nov-10 20:24:05 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Shouldn't be looking like that, they should be symmetrical in regards to the curve.

I think i got my last brushes from Repco.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
The brushes are the 2 spring loaded things sticking out of the top of the regulator. I wouldn't be concerned that the curve is not symetrical. What's happening is the contact with the slip rings on the rotor is not good enough and the current in the rotor is what's altered by the regulator to charge the battery properly. You can buy a new regulator that comes with brushes they are about $60 or you can go and get a set of brushes for about $10 and solder them into your old regulator.

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
judging by the pics of your regulators pub, my brushes are really ####ed haha. yeah i just ordered those brushes off ebay because repco said they didn't have them in stock. if it doesn't work then i'll just grab a whole new regulator, but i thought i'd try and save myself $50 first with just the brushes :p

cheers!