Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intermittent Factory LPG Issue

BlueMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Hey all,

My 2009 VE Commodore has been having intermittent issues with the LPG for a number of years now. It can run great for months at a time without issue, but sooner or later it returns. When it happens the issue is always been the same. Upon first switching over to LPG for the day it runs like crap, check engine flashes up and a misfire on cylinder 3 is logged. Restart on petrol and it runs fine. Historically I could switch back over the LPG and it would run fine too.

Mechanic has had several attempts to rectify it including full gas service, checked cut over temperature sensor, coil replaced, gas injector replaced and a number of small leaks fixed. It had been running fine for the last three months except the check engine message each time car was started. It went in for a service and another attempt to fix just before Christmas whereby a few more small leaks were detected and fixed.

Within 5 days it was worse than ever. Now it's not only when first cutting over to gas, it can happen, seemingly randomly, when driving on LPG. Restart the car on petrol and it's a coin flip whether it will flip over to gas and if it does it may run for the next 30 mins without issue and then suddenly starts playing up again... On a number of occasions the car also struggles to start, I end up slightly tapping the accelerator to get it to start.

Car went back to the mechanic yesterday. He thinks it might be fuel tank purge valve which isn't shutting, apparently this is ported to the engine to stop fuel fumes? Or the spark plugs look worn, although they're iridium and were changed less the 80k ago and should be good for 120k? I'm not a mechanic but unsure how either of these would solely affect the LPG side only and only the one cylinder. The educated guesses/process of elimination have added up and I'm looking for something more definitive before shelling out again... Hoping someone has an idea or a recommendation for a good LPG mechanic SE suburbs Melbourne. Thanks

TLDR: Intermittent gas issue, runs fine on petrol. I'm hoping someone can either provide a more definitive solution or can point me in the direction of a good LPG mechanic in SE suburbs of Melbourne.

Cheers

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Hey all,

My 2009 VE Commodore has been having intermittent issues with the LPG for a number of years now. It can run great for months at a time without issue, but sooner or later it returns. When it happens the issue is always been the same. Upon first switching over to LPG for the day it runs like crap, check engine flashes up and a misfire on cylinder 3 is logged. Restart on petrol and it runs fine. Historically I could switch back over the LPG and it would run fine too.

Mechanic has had several attempts to rectify it including full gas service, checked cut over temperature sensor, coil replaced, gas injector replaced and a number of small leaks fixed. It had been running fine for the last three months except the check engine message each time car was started. It went in for a service and another attempt to fix just before Christmas whereby a few more small leaks were detected and fixed.

Within 5 days it was worse than ever. Now it's not only when first cutting over to gas, it can happen, seemingly randomly, when driving on LPG. Restart the car on petrol and it's a coin flip whether it will flip over to gas and if it does it may run for the next 30 mins without issue and then suddenly starts playing up again... On a number of occasions the car also struggles to start, I end up slightly tapping the accelerator to get it to start.

Car went back to the mechanic yesterday. He thinks it might be fuel tank purge valve which isn't shutting, apparently this is ported to the engine to stop fuel fumes? Or the spark plugs look worn, although they're iridium and were changed less the 80k ago and should be good for 120k? I'm not a mechanic but unsure how either of these would solely affect the LPG side only and only the one cylinder. The educated guesses/process of elimination have added up and I'm looking for something more definitive before shelling out again... Hoping someone has an idea or a recommendation for a good LPG mechanic SE suburbs Melbourne. Thanks

TLDR: Intermittent gas issue, runs fine on petrol. I'm hoping someone can either provide a more definitive solution or can point me in the direction of a good LPG mechanic in SE suburbs of Melbourne.

Cheers
Had similar in our 08 Berlina dual fuel was the lpg solenoid relay playing up. Some times fine other time engine would run crap or just cut out. Cheap to replace hope that's it.

BlueMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Was starting to think it might be electrical but given it likes to behave when with the mechanic not sure what to do.

That's promising blackve76! The engine has never completely stalled, just runs real rough and needs a restart. Apparently once it throws the engine warning the cylinder is shut off to prevent damage. What's a ballpark figure for replacing the solenoid relay?

Cheers

Last edited:

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Was starting to think it might be electrical but given it likes to behave when with the mechanic not sure what to do.

That's promising blackve76! The engine has never completely stalled, just runs real rough and needs a restart. Apparently once it throws the engine warning the cylinder is shut off to prevent damage. What's a ballpark figure for replacing the solenoid relay?

Cheers
I can't remember but relays arent that expensive.

If it's running great on petrol must be a gas supply/electrical problem.

BlueMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Okay cheers, I've booked it into a dealer hoping they'll be able to figure it out once and for all. Fingers crossed.....