Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intermittent horn problem

thieled

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon Series 2
Hi Guys

The horn on my VT wagon goes off intermittently stopped by pressing on the horn pad a couple of times. While the horn is on keyless entry doesn't work.

I can see references on the forum about a suspect sticker made of aluminium which curls up and makes contact but unsure whether this applies to the VT series. I took the car to a local auto electrician and mentioned about the sticker solution. He took the horn pad assembly off. If the problem sticker is on the inside of the horn pad then it is completely covered by the airbag assembly and he was not prepared to disassemble it.

I've just taken the car to the local Holden dealer whose fix was to replace the whole horn pad + airbag assembly for $650. I thought I would decline the offer until I sought advice through this forum.

I would appreciate your thoughts on whether this is the way to go.

Many thanks!
David

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Hang on. I'm a tad confused.

In terms of why it's being intermittent, most likely because the little silver contact has been worn down over time, all it needs is to be soldered up to make contact again.

The steering wheel itself does need to come off.

However, getting the airbag off is indeed the issue firstly, I don't pretend to know exactly what to do, but as far as I'm aware, you should be able to disconnect the airbag safely and appropriately and then take the wheel off to get to the contact.

(someone else will have to offer advice on the removal of the airbag part)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Just make sure the battery is disconnected for 10 minutes before disconnecting any wiring connectors in/under the dash area.Also if you turn the ignition switch to ON whilst any of the SRS/airbags are disconnected,it will set an SRS error code in the SRS module,which also means the SRS dashlight will be on too_Once this happens,you will have to pay someone who has an appropriate scantool to read/clear the logged SRS error codes and to reset the SRS dashlight.Theres plenty of stories on here about people who have turned the ignition key on,just to quickly check something whilst part of the SRS wiring was still disconnected, and have then had to pay to get it reset.The SRS codes cannot be cleared like the ECU error codes can by disconnecting the battery for a while,you need a scantool to access it.