Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intermittent ls lifter tick.

H

harrop.senator

Whos had intermittent non cold start lifter tick before on an ls? Ive never had something like it. Ive dropped a lifter four time in 1500ks. After an hour or so of driving sometimes it'll get a singular lifter starting to tick takes about two minutes to clear at.

Then occasionally when it's hot I get a pingingish noise on low throttle 1500-2000 but isn't ping knock sensors aren't going off 98 fuel semi conservative spark table. It's almost like every single lifter gets a tiny bit of air in it then clears out.

I'm having to pull the motor soon to do stall, mains and sump gasket. I dont want to spend more money then needed I WILL NOT be recondition this is if I have the choice. Its a daily and ls gaskets and bearings are pricey lol. But I sure as hell dont want to pull heads n do lifters after removing the motor....

Any diagnosing tips? Ive flushed the oil three times and just filled it with hpr gas haven't driven it yet though. And it doesn't happen every time you drive it so could be couple more weeks til it does it again anyway.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Try some Nulon Lifter Free, it might just be some carbon getting around in the engine.

H

harrop.senator

Had that in last lot that was in for a thousand apparently they're 19k old from cam install which has me wondering if lifters or oil going to lifters somehow aerating or something. Only happens after long drive so went to the extra ten for bit more viscosity under stress.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Correct pre-load?

H

harrop.senator

Dno been cammed for five years and only started ticking after 600kms lol.