Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intermittent misfire at idle

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
hey guys
I’ve got a question, now and again, my VZ SV6 has a misfire at idle , it runs a bit rough at revs , I’m thinking dodgy coil , the plugs were changed at last service. If switch off and re start it’ll usually run ok
Any ideas or thoughts are welcome

PAUL3T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ
Could be coil-packs, could also be a lot of other things. If there are no codes and it does it once it's at operating temp I would start with coils. They can be easily checked by running the engine and removing the plastic engine covers. All of the coil-packs can then be reached. One at a time disconnect each coil-pack plug and the engine should start idling rough. If there is no change you have found the dead coil.

I recommend getting it scanned first however, if it's only a slight miss it could just be a sensor.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
Could be coil-packs, could also be a lot of other things. If there are no codes and it does it once it's at operating temp I would start with coils. They can be easily checked by running the engine and removing the plastic engine covers. All of the coil-packs can then be reached. One at a time disconnect each coil-pack plug and the engine should start idling rough. If there is no change you have found the dead coil.

I recommend getting it scanned first however, if it's only a slight miss it could just be a sensor.

Thanks mate , it only happens off and on , not all the time , twice over this weekend, before that over a month ago

PAUL3T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ
it only happens off and on , not all the time

I would be leaning towards sensors then. Wouldn't hurt to buy some MAF cleaner and give that a good clean. Oxy sensors should through a code if they are the culprit.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride

I would be leaning towards sensors then. Wouldn't hurt to buy some MAF cleaner and give that a good clean. Oxy sensors should through a code if they are the culprit.

I’m going to take it in this week to my mechanic, probably get it scanned , MAF was cleaned recently , which is why I’m thinking coils

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
the brother vz started to run rough and went into limp mode he just cleaned the throttle body using throttle body cleaner and that fixed it

i did mine to it was filthy when i took the pipe off to replace the serpentine belt also did the mass sensor using the correct cleaners

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I was surprised to read Holden info relating to accessories on the serpentine belt. It states that worn or out of balance pulleys can cause a random misfire. Might pay to have a squizz at that.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
I was surprised to read Holden info relating to accessories on the serpentine belt. It states that worn or out of balance pulleys can cause a random misfire. Might pay to have a squizz at that.

Good call , would never had thought about that