Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intermittent Miss firing only when starting

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
So as the title suggests I'm having an issue where every I dunno 30 starts the car doesn't start it just cranks or it miss fires and if you stop leave it for a bit then try again all is fine

You may remember I had a thread "anti theft woes" posting about the same thing me thinking it was the vats but now that I'm getting miss firing im leaning towards maybe a cas or dfi problem?

The car hasn't replicated the miss firing during running only every during cranking to start

I really am lost dfi and coils are all brand new only maybe a year at best old genuine Delphi

Vs series 3 v6

Cheers guys appreciate your input

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
So just traced my ebay history and found that the CAS wasn't genuine it was an aftermarket part, I'm thinking this could be the problem.... Even though it's been in for over a year approaching 2 even I think it's not genuine and I don't trust it for $38 it's worth wacking in a genuine!

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
So it's happening more frequently now, but it's strange because this time (20 min ago) it didn't start so I got some cold water splashed on cas and it started fine, but it's never ever cut out on me while driving just refused to start.... I thought if they went they cut out on you?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Mine never cut out, it was randomly hard to start until I replaced the sensor about 4 years ago. Been fine since lol

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Mine never cut out, it was randomly hard to start until I replaced the sensor about 4 years ago. Been fine since lol

Interesting, I hope this is the problem either way I got a new CAS coming so if not I can cross it off!!

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
New CAS in and it seems to start immediately now even when cold (used to crank for 1-2seconds) well most of time, anyways long story short it still intermitantly won't start will just crank endlessly and sometimes (during the no start) will miss fire .....

So I'm a bit lost cause cas is brand new genuine, genuine coils and dfi only a year ago maybe? Maybe less? I think I'll get the multimeter out and test the pins on the dfi see if it gets power, and cas signal during the no start period.....

Any other ideas?

I would maybe suggest pcm not allowing but it's actuslly misfiring during the no start which tells me it's cas, dfi related ...

Gonna check the earth on the dfi aluminium plate too.....

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Could well be a fuel problem - try turning on/off a few times to make sure the fuel lines are fully primed. A faulty non-return valve in the fuel pump can cause lack of priming. Easy to check....on a cold motor loosen fuel filter connection and fuel should spray out if the non-return valve is working.
Codes shopuld tell you if CAS is bad.
Good Luck.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
I got code 47 the other day but that's no indication of cas as it runs through the dfi to pcm, fuels fine new pump, regulator, injectors reco'd , and it's misfiring or just endlessly cranking then for no reason what so ever you go to start it and it starts fine that tells me spark ..... Or possibly pcm I'll see how my tests go!