Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intermittent no crank.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Quick question, I have replaced my ignition switch (brand new), rebuilt the NSS, fitted a brand new starter, replaced the key sensor ring with a good SH unit as they can not be bought new and fitted a brand new starter relay. Yet I am still getting the occasional no crank. The only thing I can think of is the key knob is worn? Is this even a cause of no crank? Also can they be welded with braze to build up the knob as a new key is close to $150?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Is that price from holden or Mister Minute like in the supermarkets?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Holden $130 for the key including code. $20 is to cut the key but might only be $10 at Jacksons. Issue is you have to pay the $130 to get the code. Probably buy a blank off eBay for 5 bucks but without the code you can't get it cut.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
They can`t get it off the old one?

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Had a VR key cut with new head done a few years ago by MrMinit. It was only about $60 and they just copied my old key.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS was the same aswell

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
They can`t get it off the old one?

Remote doesn't work, code is to set the machine to cut the key.

Had a VR key cut with new head done a few years ago by MrMinit. It was only about $60 and they just copied my old key.

I thought they would need the code as my key is pretty much worn out and the bumps wouldn't be as high as they were when new. It no longer locks the door as it is too worn, same on passenger side. Can they somehow set the machine to cut the key as it would have originally been?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Is your door lock, passenger door, glove box or ignition lock all the same?
If one is the same as ignition, take it to the locksmith. If nothing is the same, just take the ignition out, & take to locksmith.
Get a spare while your at it.
I would give the locksmith a call first, see what he says first.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I fitted an aftermarket central locking. I never even bothered messing with the original set up as it had signs of being played with and still didn't work. I did some searching and it could have been a few things. New kit was under 30 bucks but took some work to upgrade cables and cut the plugs off and fit solder joiners. But easier that for me than having modules resoldered or whatever else was wrong with the original set up. Keys are all alike. Not sure if i want to remove the barrel again just to cut a key. Would still be 60 bucks to dismantle it and cut the key to suit. Hoping for a cheap option, especially if replacing the key and i still have the same issue.