Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Internal water leak

VZ1CAR59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 05
Merry Christmas to all, on my way home from work tonight my 05 v6 vz was so kind as to begin leaking on my feet in the drivers footwell. Just a couple drops coming from behind the steering column. Reaching my hand up behind the column I can feel it is dripping from the top down. The liquid was defiantly water, not coolant. One would assume it to be the air con. I have done a bit of reading and looked at a diagram and have come up with a few ideas. I know very little about air cons

1. Most likely air con leak. I watched the water drain out freely later this afternoon suggesting that the drain pan is not clogged. If it is easy to check I might start with that. I also read about an overflow pipe in the area? I know their is an aircon duct running across the area from door to centre console area. Is it possible that condensation is being pushed through here?

2. Less likely - heater core leaking. I doubt this as I was told the core is on the passenger side and it should be coolant leaking if it was the case. The other idea is that their is a heater hose running through the fire wall that could be the culprit

3. Very unlikely- windscreen is not sealing properly. I highly doubt it as no issues after rain.

Not sure where to start on this one guys, hoping that it is a common issue, Thanks JC

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Is any outside source of water possible? Like, was it raining at the time, or was it wet from rain or washing? Had you driven through any big puddles?

If yes, check for holes in the firewall where the rubber seals might have pushed through or broken. Or maybe you have a rust hole under the windscreen fascia.

My evaporator is on the side where your steering wheel would be. But I guess it is not in your car.

VZ1CAR59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 05
Thanks eat your brains. No I don’t think it could be external source. It rained really hard about a week ago and no issue. Yesterday it was 40 degrees so the air con was cranking for about an hour when it started. I will check the firewall either way. Thanks , any more ideas would be great. Merry Christmas again

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
If the drips are red, it will be coolant. If the drips are clear, it will be condensed water from the AC.

Why that’s happening would be the hard part.

The heater core and it’s inlet and out pipe are on the drivers side.
The AC evaporator core is on the passenger side.

You'll need to strip away much of the interior trims so you can get a good look in there. Run the car with AC on and and try locate the drips with a torch.

Remove the fan behind the glove box and get a photo (with flash) inside toward the evaporator and see what it’s like in there. You get your arm up in there and round to the right to get a look with the phone. Make sure it’s not all blocked.

VZ1CAR59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 05
Thanks again fu and brains. Busy with work at the moment but once I get a moment I’ll take a look and update if I find something of interest

countrylife

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VE SV6 2008 Sedan 3.6L
Did you get this sorted ? I have this problem with my Ve 2008.
but now my enginehad overheated and the main pipe burst of the radiator. I’m so over this. Auto electric suggest heater core. Car has air con work done to it and has had drain plug checked and it’s not blocked.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
If your heater core is the issue, it still should drain through the hvac drain anyway. If it’s wetting the floor it’s going to have an extremely distinctive colour and smell of the red coolant.

Other points of entry are doors, down the inside of the weather shield that’s behind the door trim, hvac air intake on the firewall, sunroof, and the biggie will be a rusted out pedal plate that’s behind the carpet, the underlay and then heat shielding on the firewall. It’s where the pedals and brake bolt up to and I’ve experienced it, and as part of that, found it’s common to see at wreckers.

I was horrified when I found the holes in my pedal plate. Could put my finger through.