Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Internet moron.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Calaber, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    I've been involved in a "debate" today with a bloke who thinks Wheels magazine was biased in 1979, when it failed to award the Car of the Year to the XD Falcon. OK, that's his opinion, but this fool actually believes the former editor and writer, (Peter Robinson, I think), should actually apologise for his bias and mistake, reverse the decision and award the COTY to the XD, 40 years later. He also says the magazine should apologise for awarding COTY to the Camira and some Euro cars. He reckons the Xd was deleted because it only had leaf rear springs, which Wheels heavily criticised at the time, yet the two top sellers in Oz today have the same suspension design.
    After about four exchanges, I recognised I was communicating with an f***wit and told him to piss off.
    Honestly, 40 years later and he's still aggrieved?

2. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    I was reading an online article about this subject the other day and the commenters were bitching about the same thing.....oh the travesty.

3. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Could be the same article that started our discussion.

VS 5.0 likes this.
  4. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    This one … https://www.whichcar.com.au/opinion/wheels-most-controversial-magazine-cover
    Strange how everything that happened in the past now has to be apologised for, or dug up to create a controversy about nothing.
    When I think about it now, I'm offended, deeply, that the last of the Kingswoods didn't win. Bloody Peter Robinson ……... I hope he dings a Ferrari.
    I suppose that is what the interweb is all about, including what I have written here.

Calaber and VS 5.0 like this.
  5. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Maybe old mate was F5 from the article that @figjam posted.

Calaber and figjam like this.
  6. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    LOL …………… I read that article before there any comments were added. I do remember the controversy back in the day.
    F5 has some very good points, if you are a one-eyed Ford supporter still living in the '70s.
    After all these years, the truth is out...… The Commodore is really a Daewoo Imperial, secretly imported from Korea, stripped and reassembled in the Elizabeth factory.
    [​IMG]
    I can see the resemblance, especially around the C pillar window, and tyres. :D

Calaber likes this.
  7. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Yep, that's the fool. He's sent a couple of extra messages since I posted this thread but I've deleted them without bothering to read them. He's got to have a screw loose to still feel robbed after 40 years. Frankly, the Xd wasn't much of a car. It had a modern body on an ancient chassis and it really didn't advance auto design or engineering in this country by much at all. And it had a propensity to rust unmatched by just about anything else dating from that time. He bitches about the Camira and reckons the judges were heavily biased in favour of Holden. The Camira was a good car very shoddily made and basically ruined by the poor quality standards that pervaded GMH at the time. It suffered chronic and severe rust and various mechanical defects but it DID make certain advances for the Oz motor industry at the time. The wagon particularly was quite brilliant in its design for the time.
    I reckon old F5 just needs to take a very big cup of concrete and get over it.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  8. Fu Manchu

Fu Manchu Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ V6
    This is how I imagined this panned out :

9. Fu Manchu

Fu Manchu Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ V6
    The Camira was a bucket of shite. It was the ZB of its time. I can only imagine, given a modern chance, the same dik heds that thought the ZB was a good idea would have pedalled Aussies the Camira as a Commodore.

10. Chuckmeister

Chuckmeister Member

Members Ride:
    VX SS
    Best part of an XD is simple...351.
    I had a mate that had one and it was pretty badarse in the day. Drove well and went like a shower of, you know what..

marty351 likes this.