Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Internet moron.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I've been involved in a "debate" today with a bloke who thinks Wheels magazine was biased in 1979, when it failed to award the Car of the Year to the XD Falcon. OK, that's his opinion, but this fool actually believes the former editor and writer, (Peter Robinson, I think), should actually apologise for his bias and mistake, reverse the decision and award the COTY to the XD, 40 years later. He also says the magazine should apologise for awarding COTY to the Camira and some Euro cars. He reckons the Xd was deleted because it only had leaf rear springs, which Wheels heavily criticised at the time, yet the two top sellers in Oz today have the same suspension design.
After about four exchanges, I recognised I was communicating with an f***wit and told him to piss off.
Honestly, 40 years later and he's still aggrieved?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I was reading an online article about this subject the other day and the commenters were bitching about the same thing.....oh the travesty.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I was reading an online article about this subject the other day and the commenters were bitching about the same thing.....oh the travesty.
Could be the same article that started our discussion.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
This one … https://www.whichcar.com.au/opinion/wheels-most-controversial-magazine-cover
Strange how everything that happened in the past now has to be apologised for, or dug up to create a controversy about nothing.
When I think about it now, I'm offended, deeply, that the last of the Kingswoods didn't win. Bloody Peter Robinson ……... I hope he dings a Ferrari.
I suppose that is what the interweb is all about, including what I have written here.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
LOL …………… I read that article before there any comments were added. I do remember the controversy back in the day.
F5 has some very good points, if you are a one-eyed Ford supporter still living in the '70s.
After all these years, the truth is out...… The Commodore is really a Daewoo Imperial, secretly imported from Korea, stripped and reassembled in the Elizabeth factory.
Daewoo-imperial-2.jpg

I can see the resemblance, especially around the C pillar window, and tyres. :D

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Yep, that's the fool. He's sent a couple of extra messages since I posted this thread but I've deleted them without bothering to read them. He's got to have a screw loose to still feel robbed after 40 years. Frankly, the Xd wasn't much of a car. It had a modern body on an ancient chassis and it really didn't advance auto design or engineering in this country by much at all. And it had a propensity to rust unmatched by just about anything else dating from that time. He bitches about the Camira and reckons the judges were heavily biased in favour of Holden. The Camira was a good car very shoddily made and basically ruined by the poor quality standards that pervaded GMH at the time. It suffered chronic and severe rust and various mechanical defects but it DID make certain advances for the Oz motor industry at the time. The wagon particularly was quite brilliant in its design for the time.
I reckon old F5 just needs to take a very big cup of concrete and get over it.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
This is how I imagined this panned out :

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The Camira was a bucket of shite. It was the ZB of its time. I can only imagine, given a modern chance, the same dik heds that thought the ZB was a good idea would have pedalled Aussies the Camira as a Commodore.

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
Best part of an XD is simple...351.
I had a mate that had one and it was pretty badarse in the day. Drove well and went like a shower of, you know what..