Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Internet speeds

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
Hi
Does anyone here have cable broadband with speeds of 9,900KB/s ?
I had this installed the other day and while it is a hug improvment over the old 512 Kb wireless its not as fast as i think it should be.
What kind of sppeds do you guys get while downloading P2P?
I know that it all depends on how many peers and such however so far the fastest speed that i have reached is around the 250Kb/s mark for p2p and when downloading off the internet i seem to be averaging around 40Kb/s.
I just dont think that this seems right.
Also when loading web pages occasianally it can become very slow and i have to reset my computer and then it will speed up again Anythoughts on that ?

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
Umm, I'm on the Optus Cable 12g limit, 1.5mbs net, and downloading from an Aussie site, this morning i downloaded a 650mb Linux file in 15 mins, about 580mbs or whatever. With Bittorrent it varies, depends on how many people are sharing that file. Limewire averages about 70kbs.

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
I am on internode ADSL2+ and it is not uncommon to have torrents come down at 200kb/s +. As mentioned it all depends on the amount of people sharing though.

Bec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6L Wagon
I'm on adsl2+ with iinet's claimed "up to 24000k speeds"

Best I've got from limewire is 300kbps, although nothing is configured properly and my laptop is a piece of crap

KingDiamond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
At my mums joint, shes in Sydney, and has Bigpond cable... I pulled 900-1000kb/s download speeds off privately tracked torrents... Got an 700mb XviD in about 6-7mins.

Depends on alot of things.

Torrents = depends on seeders and leechers ratio
P2P = depends on the file location and how many people are sharing the file..
HTTP/FTP = depends on the server strength speed and location

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
Bec said:
I'm on adsl2+ with iinet's claimed "up to 24000k speeds"

Best I've got from limewire is 300kbps, although nothing is configured properly and my laptop is a piece of crap

thats where they like to confuse people. they assume that the average customer doesnt know the difference between megabits per second, and megabytes per second. network speeds are measured in bits per second, but download speeds are measured in bytes per second. a byte is 8 bits, so the download speed will always look smaller when compared to the bandwidth the network can handle

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
oh, i feel so slow now, 256kb/s bigpond broadband, ive only managed to download at 27kb/s off limewire

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
bigpond ultra cable
however fastest D/L 2100kb/s p2p
700 meg file around 3.5 minuts very rare thou
1100kb/s the norm

Bec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6L Wagon
stocky said:
thats where they like to confuse people. they assume that the average customer doesnt know the difference between megabits per second, and megabytes per second. network speeds are measured in bits per second, but download speeds are measured in bytes per second. a byte is 8 bits, so the download speed will always look smaller when compared to the bandwidth the network can handle

Yeah I realise that (surprisingly, as its one of the few things about computers I do know lol)

I meant to add more to my post but was too lazy - basically just comparing the plan I'm on to the download speeds :) (which i still believe are slower than they should be)

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
I'll just add, I'm on the network, just 2 computers linked via crossover, and those speeds that I posted are from my computer on a 100mbs LAN