Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Interstate Car Purchase

PeterVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Equipe
I am in the market for a well kept low Klm VX II Equipe. The Carsales ones are in Queensland, 3 good ones ( on paper ) and I am in Sydney.

To purchase a car in Queensland or any interstate car sounds messy.

Has any forum member been through such a maneuver in recent times ?

My initial thoughts would be,

Check ownership
Check for no encumbrance
Check (if possible ) for a repaired wreck
Drive back to Sydney and register in NSW
Maybe cash the remaining Queensland rego in and return plates to RTA Queensland.

Are there any other options or methods.

Love to hear any informed comment.

Cheers All

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Bought from Vic to say several times to save $$$$. Always have 3 cars on your list as never know how good they are until you get there. Rego transfer easy but never got cash back for cancelling.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I am in the market for a well kept low Klm VX II Equipe. The Carsales ones are in Queensland, 3 good ones ( on paper ) and I am in Sydney.

To purchase a car in Queensland or any interstate car sounds messy.

Has any forum member been through such a maneuver in recent times ?

My initial thoughts would be,

Check ownership
Check for no encumbrance
Check (if possible ) for a repaired wreck
Drive back to Sydney and register in NSW
Maybe cash the remaining Queensland rego in and return plates to RTA Queensland.

Are there any other options or methods.

Love to hear any informed comment.

Cheers All
With Qld cars it is easy enough to check on line for registration status and encumberance, but of course always use a generic receipt which states the seller is the owner and has the right to sell the vehicle, and the seller/owner certifies said vehicle to be unemcumbered.
Make sure all details are correct,name of owner, licence number, address, vin, rego etc etc
Be absolutely certain the date and TIME of sale are signed and witnessed otherwise YOU my end up with fines/tolls from the seller.
Any registered vehicle sold in Qld must be provided with a Safety Certificate ( RWC) although you may choose to knock down the price without Safety Certificate seeing as you are taking it interstate, but you then accept anything which may be wrong with the vehicle, also the seller is taking a risk that you will not keep driving it around on the rego until it runs out.
This in itself is a big risk on the sellers part.
In this day and age it is very important for a seller to take the buyer to Transport and make sure the rego is transferred.

As a seller, I personally would not let the vehicle with rego plates out of my sight without providing a Safety Certificate and having all the necessary transfer paperwork done, and even then, unless I take the buyer to Transport, there is a chance I could end up with fines/tolls from the new owner, and that in itself can be very troublesome to overcome.
With a sale to an interstate buyer, I would much prefer to cancel the rego and let the new owner get a permit to drive the vehicle interstate.
Of course if the seller does not know you are going interstate, then ???

Any Safety Certificate issued in Qld is not recognised interstate.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Id be getting the seller to keep the plates and driving the car back on a permit. Then the seller can get a fee dollars of reg back and hopefully take it off the sale price. Other than the normal ppsr check all pretty standard stuff, maybe see if you can get a few videos of cold start and a walk around before you make the trek too, as photos tell 1000 words but also hide another 1000 too.

PeterVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Equipe
Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your informed and helpful replies.

"Rambunctious", thank you for your detailed and informative reply. Your post covers some aspects that I did not consider, I am now better informed.

"Sandman", your advice is logical.

I would hate to travel interstate to look at a car that had good paintwork and good upholstery in the advertisement and then finding out that that the motor is in very poor condition and not maintained to the level of the rest of the car, or that the 16 year old car has never had a transmission service.

I will digest all of this a little more and hope a similar comes up for sale locally.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
@PeterVX2 , are you in the RAC or similar ?

You could arrange a pre-purchase inspection of the car by the local equivalent prior to making the trip.

PeterVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Equipe
Thanks for that tip.

I am not a member of the NRMA in NSW ( maybe I should be ). I will check if they provide such a service.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I may be late with this, but, drive it back on the Qld plates. That way you know it will be registered.
Register it in NSW as soon as you get back, you won't be fined but they add a considerable 'admin fee' if the rego is not within 14 (?) days.
When you cancel the Qld rego, the previous owner will get the refund, not you.
All the legal paperwork and RWC that I got from the Qld seller was not recognised by the NSW RMS, I had to get a stat dec giving all the details that were readily available on the sale papers, and a blue slip (which I think is now called something else).
Personally, a right royal PITA that took me 2 days to complete.

WMagicman

Reaction score
Website
www.mcarbrokers.com.au
Members Ride
WM Statesman
Hi guys, i'm in the car business and i've arranged interstate deals for customers in NSW many times. I am in NSW myself.
To register any car in NSW bought interstate, the lads above are spot on, the cheapest way is to fly up and drive it back on a permit you purchase from the QLD TMR: https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/buying/unregistered/uvp
But before you even buy a ticket you should check the Personal Property Securities Register (used to be called REVS in NSW but is now Australia wide).
https://www.ppsr.gov.au
It will cost you $2.00 per vehicle check and will show you if the vehicle has a clear title or has been subject to insurance write off or reported stolen.
The other, more expensive way to get a vehicle to NSW from interstate is to truck it.
Additionally, as said above you will need to get a Blue Slip done which is also known as an AUVIS Inspection which proves the vehicle's identity to RMS NSW:
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/business-industry/examiners/authorised-inspection-scheme/auvis.html

Hope that helps.

Last edited: