Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Interstate Car Transport

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
Here's a little story about Transporting a Car Interstate, for those interested in doing so maybe one day in the future.

I recently purchased a car from the fellow member of the forums last month. It was an offer i couldn't refuse but the only catch was im in VIC and he was in Perth. Im not going to focus on the sale to much because 1. it was sight unseen and 2. I had sold my old exhaust to this member and we got on like a house on fire, so buying it was a walk in the park.

I started off by trying to find a transport company, this part was pretty easy as most companies offer a online quote, and I was able to read their terms and conditions. There is plenty of companies out their and they all roughly have the same terms and conditions, but i end up going with PRIXCAR, because whilst they were the cheapest, their site also looked pretty professional.

I chose the Door to Door service, which all up was: $676.

CEVA was also pretty good @ $693 but the catch was the vehicle had to be dropped at their depot and collected from their depot (I saw Door to Door service as easier for both parties) Most other companies were around the $1000-$1200, BUT one of the main benefits was they allowed to have spare parts travel in the vehicle. PRIXCAR doesnt offer this service.

The vehicle is completely empty. All personal and loose items and/or parts have been removed from your vehicle, check compartments such as glove box, console, CD stacker, boot etc.

Which is annoying if the seller has spare parts to go with it, like my seller did.

So everything was done online, I picked a date for the vehicle to be collected - which they call the seller the day before and offer a 4 hour window for collection. This all went smoothly, the seller notified me of when they contacted him, and when they collected it. The driver also fills out a damage report where they mark down (on a picture of a car) any stone chips, scuffs, dents, marks etc so basically that covers them and the end receiver.

When I completed this it said it would take 14 days. The Vehicle was collected on the (Wednesday) 17th NOV, so I was expecting a call on (Wednesday) 28th and delivery for the (Thursday) 29th.

I called them the Friday to find out an ETA, which they told me Wednesday the 7th, and they'd call me the day before to organize a 4 hour window for delivery. So Tuesday I sat around waiting for a phone call that never came. Yesterday at 10.30~ while at work i received a phone call from the driver who said he was 10-15 mins away to drop it off. I got a little pissed off as no one contacted me so I could plan my work day around it - he said that wasnt his fault, it was the girls in the office fault for not planning (which i agree'd with) I work 45mins away from home, and dont get home until 2pm. He called his boss and then promptly called me back and said his boss doesnt want him waiting around for 4 hours, and that car was going back to their depot.

was a little shitty, but wasnt the end of the world. Then i started thinking 'these bastards better not try and sting me for a re delivery fee'

You Must Pay:
- If the delivery address is unattended during normal business hours or, if the delivery address is a private address, during the
prearranged delivery period, we can, at your expense, return the vehicle to our nearest depot which will constitute delivery.

-the cost of storage at $55.00 per day

I quickly called their office and questioned it, as it wasnt my fault they tried to deliver the vehicle un-notified. She said she'd speak to her manager, and the vehicle would be redelivered today. I havent heard anything more about the re-delivery payment, but if the driver tries to claim anything he'll be getting a swift one.

I will be updating this thread (with vehicle condition from transport etc) once I've received the vehicle later today.

But over-all this was such an easy experience. I actually thought shipping a vehicle interstate would be a nightmare, But the whole transaction via online was a breeze, and from what I understand the vehicle came down via rail.

So if anyone has an eye on a car interstate - Dont rule it out, its actually a easy procedure.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Good to hear it was a generally good experience Jecs.

I shipped a white car by rail many years ago (Melb to northern NSW). By the time it got there the front half of the car was far from white, rather a very dark red, almost black due to metal from the wheels/tracks apparently. They gave it a high pressure hose off which removed most of the stuff but you could still see small flecks of it through the paint.

So check the paint for any evidence of this.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Interesting to know, always seems to be interesting stuff popping up interstate. What did you buy yourself also?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Interesting to know, always seems to be interesting stuff popping up interstate. What did you buy yourself also?

Me or Jecs ?

I didn't buy anything. It was in the late 80's when I moved from Melb to the Gold Coast and I sent my car on the train.

I have a sneaking suspicion Jecs has bought another stato.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Me or Jecs ?

I didn't buy anything. It was in the late 80's when I moved from Melb to the Gold Coast and I sent my car on the train.

I have a sneaking suspicion Jecs has bought another stato.

haha on the money!

well the car turned up, dirty as hell (bit black on the front) but no damage, and nothing about paying a redeliver fee

the truckie who brought it (subby) was a top bloke, small world but turns out he had applied for a truck driver role at my work lol.

she'll receive a good cut and polish and car cover will be thrown on her and tucked away in the corner of the shed

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
pics coming yes?????????????

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
haha on the money!

well the car turned up, dirty as hell (bit black on the front) but no damage, and nothing about paying a redeliver fee

the truckie who brought it (subby) was a top bloke, small world but turns out he had applied for a truck driver role at my work lol.

she'll receive a good cut and polish and car cover will be thrown on her and tucked away in the corner of the shed

So two statos owned, zero statos roaded....such waste, much sad.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Yeah sorry was directed at Jecs, is this a certain sort of back up car I think I heard about in cb a while back?

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
So two statos owned, zero statos roaded....such waste, much sad.

believe it or not, because of this i will be driving SHYGMH more.

i think my old man love this caprice. its full grandpa spec with the mud flaps, dash mat and sitting high as hell. pretty much the complete opposite of SHY haha

Yeah sorry was directed at Jecs, is this a certain sort of back up car I think I heard about in cb a while back?

haha yep! this is my get out of jail free card if i get defected.

sorry about the lack of pics, the condition of paint is very tired. if you ran your hand along the paint it would feel like the car has a matte finish. i cut the front of to see how it would come up, the paint under it still has some depth.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Lol I assumed so but wasn't going to post it on here in case you didn't want it known. Good to hear Shya's hitting the road again, is it running etc currently or close to?