Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intro and LS3 ticking

newi

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6 Turbo
Hi everyone,

I just picked up a 2017 Redline and it is easily the best car I have owned and I am really looking forward to getting into this community. Super super happy with it.

As I am still learning the little 'VFisms' (the drivers seat click is booked in to get fixed in Feb - haha) and I have noticed a tick from the engine when idling.

I know these LS3s can be a little noisy (due to the alloy construction and what not) but I have taken a video and wondering if you guys have an opinion on if its just injector noise or if its something more sinister to get looked at.

Link -

Cheers,

Paul

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Sounds perfectly normal to me

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
That sounds fine...

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Rattle n hum. Enjoy!

newi

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6 Turbo
Awesome. Thanks guys. I figured it probably was.

How bloody good are they?! I love that it shakes a bit when idling at the lights.

I came from an FG turbo which was (is) a great car. Aside from diff bushes, random clunks and transmission heat exchangers that sporadically rupture...

But this redline is just so much better everywhere. If I had to pick one small criticism I reckon the ZF in the Falcon is probably better. Just a bit smoother than the old 6L80...

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
If you have the known LS3 lifter issue, it will tick very clearly (at times) and if the bonnet is up, you'll be able to narrow it down to which bank it's coming from (left or right) and front or back.

Mine had lifters and cams replaced just before warranty ran out.

newi

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6 Turbo
Do you have any videos/audio clips of yours ticking. It would be great to compare them.

Ryan_044

Reaction score
Members Ride
16' VFII Redline A6
I'm very similar to yourself - came from an 09' G6ET to now a 16' SSVR (Auto) and loved that too other than the same things you mentioned - was stock but still just loved the silky smooth power / midrange and zf box - the SSVR is just more "raw" power if that makes sense lol

With the lifters if you call a dealership and give them the vin no. they'll be able to let you know if it has been replaced under warranty or not - let us know how you go - otherwise it does have a bit more "engine / ticking noise" just until it warms up!

Off the top of my head a few positives going from the G6ET:
- Better overall build quality / interior
- Better handling / brakes / road feel in general (suspension is stiffer but still handles bumps in the road better)
- Can put the power down better (after getting better tyres)
- Better off the line and then again up top
- Sound!

And only downsides for me are:
- No turbo midrange - have to really plant your foot to get it going (e.g. accelerating from say 40ks - 80ks casually at 1/2 throttle i feel the G6ET did this more effortlessly)
- Uses a bit more fuel
- Gearbox takes a while to kickdown / sports mode doesn't really feel much different

Enjoy!

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Do you have any videos/audio clips of yours ticking. It would be great to compare them.
Yeah I do, but CBF setting up a photo/video hosting site. Photobucket gobbled up all my videos and haven't bothered since.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Yeah I do, but CBF setting up a photo/video hosting site. Photobucket gobbled up all my videos and haven't bothered since.
YouTube is the way to go for videos these days and as far as photo's just upload them here , only thing is you might have to edit/resize them to 50% in paint/photoshop . I lost a few photo's on Photobucket but luckily still had most of them on my hard drive , these days one of the cloud services like One drive or google cloud is the way to go for photo's and can easily be automated back up straight from your phone

Last edited: