Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

INTRODUCING OLD BL ACK BETTY (1978 HOLDEN VB SLE VCAR)

1978vcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
1978 VB SLE COMODOORE
After years of sourcing parts, countless hours of bodywork and **** loads of cash ( as have been taken for many a ride by so-called panel beaters and mechanics), and over 20 years in the making I am happy to introduce old black betty ( bam bah lam like the song, as let's face it all her children have gone wild from what I can see you and what you lads get up to today is pretty wicked with the hp you are getting these days) the old girl is in the final stages of completion and thought I would throw a few pics up to see what you all think so far and if she is still turns a few heads, she has a sly stock looking 308/355 fully forge stroker yt heads (rollerised of course) Edelbrock manifold 650 vac secondary carby all arp bolts 4 bolt main 580 tough cam(hydraulic) billet msd extreme lightweight flywheel and extreme big plate organic clutch to match the muncie m21 rock crusher box out of a corvette and putting it to ground is a eaton true trac salsbury 10 bolt spool convertion with good old aussie made performer headers to give her the old school rumbbling sound ( converted to 4 into 1 each bank/headr pipe). Have original vynle interior in pristine condition to be fitted as well as agi half cage (4 point removable for cruizing and cams approved when fitted for some fun on a track) have gone with the Wilwood boosterless brake set up with vt front brakes and bias control.. some say are useless and other say are good so I guess you don't know unless you have a crack and see for youself and find out what's what( and wilwood have supplied road set up not burnout type and say are ok as does Harop and Castlemaine rod shop and are willing to help in set up of system for road use.) Note car in mock stage and not finished yet...
IMG00043.jpg
IMG00044.jpg
IMG00045.jpg
IMG00047.jpg
IMG00049.jpg

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
After years of sourcing parts, countless hours of bodywork and **** loads of cash ( as have been taken for many a ride by so-called panel beaters and mechanics), and over 20 years in the making I am happy to introduce old black betty ( bam bah lam like the song, as let's face it all her children have gone wild from what I can see you and what you lads get up to today is pretty wicked with the hp you are getting these days) the old girl is in the final stages of completion and thought I would throw a few pics up to see what you all think so far and if she is still turns a few heads, she has a sly stock looking 308/355 fully forge stroker yt heads (rollerised of course) Edelbrock manifold 650 vac secondary carby all arp bolts 4 bolt main 580 tough cam(hydraulic) billet msd extreme lightweight flywheel and extreme big plate organic clutch to match the muncie m21 rock crusher box out of a corvette and putting it to ground is a eaton true trac salsbury 10 bolt spool convertion with good old aussie made performer headers to give her the old school rumbbling sound ( converted to 4 into 1 each bank/headr pipe). Have original vynle interior in pristine condition to be fitted as well as agi half cage (4 point removable for cruizing and cams approved when fitted for some fun on a track) have gone with the Wilwood boosterless brake set up with vt front brakes and bias control.. some say are useless and other say are good so I guess you don't know unless you have a crack and see for youself and find out what's what( and wilwood have supplied road set up not burnout type and say are ok as does Harop and Castlemaine rod shop and are willing to help in set up of system for road use) Note car in mock stage and not finished yet...

now I want everyone to read that out aloud...WITHOUT stopping for breath o_O
impossible :p

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Vinyl interior? Errrr SL/E either have velour and vinyl or leather and vinyl.

1978vcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
1978 VB SLE COMODOORE
the very first 1978 poverty PAC sle was vynle.. no power windows no a/c and the bearest of options( headlight wipers only) stock standard with v8 option
headlight wipers were the first part to go and why so rare to find these days, as these were what all the old original race versions were made from78-80, especially in speedway grand national class and why pay for options you were just going to pull out for cams approval as my uncle raced one of these cars at LIVERPOOL SPEEDWAY NSW. back in the early 80s these cars were manual 4 speeds (borg box that the racers in the day converted to m21/m22 Muncie box as Liverpool was a 1/8 mile oval banked circuit track before it was shut down by the council, then they became oz cars many years later at the Thunderdome in Melbourne... not all sle was a full optioned kit and bells and whistles.. check the release options in 78 and will see there was a stock standard option apon this is one of those extremely rare cars these days as mainly were bought to become race cars and did not survive as everyone wanted the bling except the racing community who just wanted a standard v8. this is true 78 build as vin#AVB04488... JUST A BIT OF TRIVIA and thought it might interest you as my family been in speedway all there life and raced a modified at WESTMEAD speedway and 1964 EJ before upgrading to the vb in 78 at liverpool speedway and then going dirt (speedcars) at parramatta showground before it became parramatta speedway or the old PCR which sadly has gone now as was a 1/2 mile clay track.:)

Reactions: Lex

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
WTF, don't know where your info is from, standard seat facings and headlinging is velour. If you have vinyl seats, its been changed.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
V8 Commodore 4 speeds weren't borgies...They were M20 or M21's....So swapping out borgies for M20 and M21's didn't happen...

My father in law was a speedway racer, then went to become a machine examiner for speedway...This career of his lasted 40 or 50 years....He gave up due to heart problems, when Toranas were all the rage on the track....All the Commodores he inspected were 6 bangers, not 8's....All started as base model cars.

I also have a really good mate that just pulled the pin on racing speedway after 40 years....Stopped because the cost was getting way out of control....He used to build base model 6 banger commodores and race them....He taught me a few tricks with the Holden 6's to help them produce a bit more power, without spending big bucks....This came from his speedway days, where you did what you had to to be competitive on a budget....

So they weren't all V8's buddy. Alot started life as base model 6 bangers, with some being 4 bangers if they came up cheap...

1978vcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
1978 VB SLE COMODOORE
numbers don't lie vin# matches 1978 sle 253 and road registered vynle trim and no wood grain dash but all sle instrumentation. And speedway has always been the working man's motorsport and yes budget and knowhow was at the for front and were a lot of rat technology came into to play... now there a was driver known as Barry Graham who was a legend at l/pool speedway and I have pics when he ran a vb v8 with mechanical fuel injection back then.. and also there was a man called Paul ash with a similar setup and were all holders of the grand national #1 tittle in vb v8s, also the Crick family( PETER CRICK) is now known for running cars at Bathurst also ran the v8 commodore at Liverpool when Mike Raymond (RIP as deceased now) owned operated and was the presenter of speedway segment on sports world back in the day. My uncle also became a scrutineer for Liverpool speedway as well and may know your father-in-law. And he is right in this sense, not all v8 comms were race cars but into the 80s I know of 350 chevs being dropped into grand nationals and muncie m22 boxes and not super6s as THIS was a different class ( much cheaper to run as had restrictions to keep cars competitive on a budget racing class as grand national class was open slather mainly as the Americans would come over every year with the latest gear for the MARLBOURA GRAND NATIONAL 100 LAP EVENT AT LIVERPOOL held every year and bring over the legendary DANNY SMITH among other greats like the KINSER BROTHERS ECT with their own motors and engineers and they were not 6s they were racing but v8s straight from the outlaw or NASCAR classification and rules which is international rules inclusive australia and they absolutely flogged our boys as they had the technology and cash but most of all were professional drivers racing 5- 7 days a week in the states and when they left to go home they sold the motors( long motors) localy here as it was to expensive to take back to the states and technology was changing so fast , WE AUSSIES BOUGHT THEM THREW THEM IN LOCAL MADE CARS AND RACED EM. My info is first hand straight from the horse's mouth and if you want you can check by looking up info on the PLACE OF PACE LIVERPOOL SPEEDWAY AS IT WAS CALLED IN THE DAY...ps if looking up take a look at a man named RUSSEL ARMUNSIN ( not sure is spelling is right) and the wicked super6( EH) he drove that really put the wind up the grand nationals on occasion and remember we are talking sedans( grand nationals) not sprint cars or speed cars or super6s. this post is not meant to offend or disprove, belittle anyone in any way shape, or form, and please don't take it as such but is a bit of history on speedway racing in Sydney in the 80s before the do-gooders stuffed it all up by bitching over noise and killing a once great race track, and yes I have turned on Grammarly as I come from the school of hard knocks and never got the pleasure of learning grammar to its full extent so forgive me for paragraphs and puntuation ALSO EURO CARS WERE VYNLE INTERIOR AND HEAD LININGS AND V8S.( EXPORT MODELS) once again not having a go at any one or trying to disprove anyone so please don't take in that context please.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
numbers don't lie vin# matches 1978 sle 253 and road registered vynle trim and no wood grain dash but all sle instrumentation. And speedway has always been the working man's motorsport and yes budget and knowhow was at the for front and were a lot of rat technology came into to play... now there a was driver known as Barry Graham who was a legend at l/pool speedway and I have pics when he ran a vb v8 with mechanical fuel injection back then.. and also there was a man called Paul ash with a similar setup and were all holders of the grand national #1 tittle in vb v8s, also the Crick family( PETER CRICK) is now known for running cars at Bathurst also ran the v8 commodore at Liverpool when Mike Raymond (RIP as deceased now) owned operated and was the presenter of speedway segment on sports world back in the day. My uncle also became a scrutineer for Liverpool speedway as well and may know your father-in-law. And he is right in this sense, not all v8 comms were race cars but into the 80s I know of 350 chevs being dropped into grand nationals and muncie m22 boxes and not super6s as THIS was a different class ( much cheaper to run as had restrictions to keep cars competitive on a budget racing class as grand national class was open slather mainly as the Americans would come over every year with the latest gear for the MARLBOURA GRAND NATIONAL 100 LAP EVENT AT LIVERPOOL held every year and bring over the legendary DANNY SMITH among other greats like the KINSER BROTHERS ECT with their own motors and engineers and they were not 6s they were racing but v8s straight from the outlaw or NASCAR classification and rules which is international rules inclusive australia and they absolutely flogged our boys as they had the technology and cash but most of all were professional drivers racing 5- 7 days a week in the states and when they left to go home they sold the motors( long motors) localy here as it was to expensive to take back to the states and technology was changing so fast , WE AUSSIES BOUGHT THEM THREW THEM IN LOCAL MADE CARS AND RACED EM. My info is first hand straight from the horse's mouth and if you want you can check by looking up info on the PLACE OF PACE LIVERPOOL SPEEDWAY AS IT WAS CALLED IN THE DAY...ps if looking up take a look at a man named RUSSEL ARMUNSIN ( not sure is spelling is right) and the wicked super6( EH) he drove that really put the wind up the grand nationals on occasion and remember we are talking sedans( grand nationals) not sprint cars or speed cars or super6s. this post is not meant to offend or disprove, belittle anyone in any way shape, or form, and please don't take it as such but is a bit of history on speedway racing in Sydney in the 80s before the do-gooders stuffed it all up by bitching over noise and killing a once great race track, and yes I have turned on Grammarly as I come from the school of hard knocks and never got the pleasure of learning grammar to its full extent so forgive me for paragraphs and puntuation ALSO EURO CARS WERE VYNLE INTERIOR AND HEAD LININGS AND V8S.( EXPORT MODELS) once again not having a go at any one or trying to disprove anyone so please don't take in that context please.

Make sentences....This whole post is a big jumble of rubbish that is extremely difficult to read.

Speedway has been on the decline mainly due to costs....A competitive street stock costs around $30K.....

A night racing with a 6cyl wingless sets you back $2K.

So it's not all over noise as you put it

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Well someone may of swithed interior over.

Facts are, all VB SL/E are either velour or leather seat facings.
All also have burl walnut dash facia.

You sure if the VIN is 8X69? or model code is VB8VX69/8VX69BR?