Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

iPad head unit installation

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by Pickled, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Pickled

Pickled Member

Members Ride:
    Barina
    After contacting multiple members of this site and receiving no reply I thought I'd start yet another iPad head unit install thread.

Firstly, I need someone to make me a custom facia to surround the iPad and hold it in place for a 2007 VE Berlina.

Secondly, I need guidance, if there is anyone that's experienced and is willing to assist me in the installation I would love to talk to you.

Thirdly, I want to retain the steering wheel controls, is this possible? Does the iPad itself connect to an audio out which leads to a head unit mounted in the glove box?

I want this to look as clean and as factory as possible, I have the cash set aside for this project and I'm looking to start it fairly soon, I live in the south-eastern suburbs of Melbourne, if anyone in the area can shed some light on the installation that would be great!

Last but not least, has HVAC software for an iPad been released yet? If I can I would rather not buy the separate HVAC LCD but if it needs to be done than so be it!

Thanks,
    Chris

2. showbags

showbags SENIOR EL'BAGO

Members Ride:
    VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
    Read SLY6's thread. He's done it. As well as a few others. I think this is the 3rd thread in as many days on the same thing.

3. Pickled

Pickled Member

Members Ride:
    Barina
    I'm very aware of who's done it and who hasn't, I made this thread for information which I can't seem to find anywhere else, there may be other threads but I'm 100% genuinely interested in getting this project going in the next few weeks if I can get pointed in the right direction.

4. BigBoss

BigBoss Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE Omega
    Currently I'm doing almost the exact install you are talking about.
    I'm going to have steering wheal controls and a custom facia that allows the iPad to be quickly removed.
    I have a JVC head unit in my glove box and AXXESS unit connected to the GMLAN connection to retain SW controls.
    The iPad 3 will be connected to the JVC unit via USB to control it via the SW.
    I will also have a reverse camera sending a video stream to a LCD in my rear view mirror.
    I will also have the HVAC LCD in the upper dash, however i think the iPad HVAC unit if not far off.

for a little inspiration hear are some other installs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. WELSHH

WELSHH New Member

Members Ride:
    2008 VE 6lt SS Ute
    How much does it cost to get all this done to an ss, parts and all, roughly?

6. BigBoss

BigBoss Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE Omega
    Not including the iPad call it about $500 no including labour

7. BigBoss

BigBoss Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE Omega
    + $450 for the lcd hvac unit

8. BigBoss

BigBoss Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE Omega
    Double post :/

9. some_guy

some_guy Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VR SII Exec.
    So i hope im not the only one who has thought about my below points.

1. You have just taken a stereo system that works and added to more links to the chain, making the system all the more prone to failure.
    2. you do realise there are ADR's around rearview mirrors. Also does the camera disengage whilst driving? And how much rearview mirror are you left with?
    3. What will you use to combat glare? You cant tell me that at no point whilst driving on a sunny day that the screen wont get glare.
    4. Not having a solid go to point for your hand will mean that you are more likely to focus on the ipad whilst driving to change volume and select songs. same goes for the HVAC lcd. Again you cant tell me you'll never get distracted by it.
    5. This seems like alot of work just to have touch controls, which will suck when software crash's/fails.

10. -SpydeR-

-SpydeR- New Member

Members Ride:
    2007 VE SV6
    Fantastic idea mate. I too wish to get started on this project, so maybe we can collaborate our ideas in this thread. I'm hoping Westy27 and maybe even VegasNate can help us out with regards to any questions we have about the iPad installation as their installs look fantastic.

This is one thing which I am interested in also. Whilst I wouldn't mind attempting to make my own, I need to be pointed in the right direction in regards to what Westy27 and VegasNate have made their fascias out of. If it's fibreglass then how is the base shape made prior to building up the fibreglass? Or is it just a piece of thin MDF that is wrapped in leather, vinyl etc...

By looking at the installs that Westy27 and VegasNate have done, here is what I can gather:

- The original radio is left in place as a means of connecting to the factory speakers, steering wheel controls and listening to pre-set radio stations.
    - The original radio fascia is removed allowing room for the iPad
    - The iPad is connected using the composite AV cables (the one with a USB connection) into the Rear AUX of the factory head unit (White/Red RCA connections)
    - The iPad is connected to power/charge using the composite AV cables USB connection. This may be attached to an Ipad in-car cigarette lighter charger?
    - The factory trim on the left and right hand sides of the radio must be modified to fit the iPad in a landscape orientation
    - The HVAC unit is connected to the appropriate wires using the 16-Pin bluetooth connector that is unused behind the glove box

Yes you can retain the steering wheel controls, provided that you leave the factory head unit in. This is only limited to adjusting the volume and changing radio stations though. The iPad is therefore connected to the factory head unit situated behind the iPad itself.

As far as I can tell, VegasNate is still developing and beta testing the HVAC software for the iPad. Therefore if you're looking for the project to be complete in the near future then you'll have to opt for the separate HVAC LCD.

11. -SpydeR-

-SpydeR- New Member

Members Ride:
    2007 VE SV6
    I'd hate to be negative.

Whilst you have made valid points above, not everyone is like you where they need to fiddle with their HVAC and radio controls every 5 seconds.

1. I too agree that there are too many links in the chain, but if someone wants to do it that way, what concern is it of yours?

2. Valid point, won't argue here.

3. In regards to glare, this can be easily prevented using an anti-glare screen protector.

4. Not everyone is doing this for the sake of solely listening to music. There are many applications including a huge GPS screen (+1 for safety), monitoring statistics of their car as well as many other benefits. And again, not everyone feels the need to adjust these settings and change songs every 5 seconds.

5. It is a fair bit of work, but the end result is fantastic. Besides what makes you think that the software will crash/fail?

12. some_guy

some_guy Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VR SII Exec.
    I wasn't trying to sounds negative.

More so highlighting observations i had made. I was just looking to get some feedback from people doing it and why.

You sir have done that rather respectfully (contrary to popular fashion round thsee parts). i commend that.

Grega likes this.
  13. Pickled

Pickled Member

Members Ride:
    Barina
    As SpydeR said, the iPad itself provides a lot more than just playing some tunes, currently it's one of the most customizable tablets in the world in terms of applications, and it will only get better.

It's 2012, sooner or later this will be a baseline for all car factory head units.

14. some_guy

some_guy Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VR SII Exec.
    Yeah, maybe i am just getting old in my mind.

Becasue IMO (not saying you can't or shouldn't do it) but when im driving, im driving. the cd thats in there plays and thats it.

I just cant see the point in have so much function/customisation glued to your centre console. But hey each to their own

15. -SpydeR-

-SpydeR- New Member

Members Ride:
    2007 VE SV6
    And when you jailbreak, and you will with an iPad install, the possibilities are endless. From auto unlocking the device, to pausing music automatically when power is no longer sensed.

16. -SpydeR-

-SpydeR- New Member

Members Ride:
    2007 VE SV6
    That's exactly my attitude when driving and I'm still a P Plater.

17. Pickled

Pickled Member

Members Ride:
    Barina
    Fair enough, I guess you could say I'm very interested and savvy when it comes to technology, I like to keep up to date with the times and play around with whatever I can.

18. davey g-force

davey g-force I'm a sceptic...

Members Ride:
    02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
    I'm with some_guy.

But yeah, each to their own..

19. BigBoss

BigBoss Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE Omega
    Ok so this is a response to some_guy
    1: my stereo has been long gone for some time now and I have no regrets, if anything having an iPad will reduce the links in my audio chain.
    2: the camera will auto switch but yes there is a lack of real-estate but i think this is a minor issue.
    3: anti glare covers and the hvac unit will be indented in the dash were the green screen was.
    4: the iPad should never be touched by the driver the steering wheal controls will be able to navigate the tracks.
    5: all stereos have software that can fail, i don't see your point.

20. BigBoss

BigBoss Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE Omega
    Oh and to SpydeR it makes things much better to install a new stereo, then you can get sw controls of the iPad and better quality sound.