Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

iPad head unit installation

-SpydeR-

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
I assumed you would read the description...

I did. Still even with the matching fascia to go with that backing plate sorta thing, it still doesn't provide a clean install in the centre console stack.

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Couple of new pics, I have sw controls, GPS Nav, wifi OBD, usb charging and digital audio pass through to the HU and a crap load of other cool stuff.

scaled.php

56463568.jpg

78532367.jpg

teag42

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
Dunno if this would help anyone here but if u used vlad's iPod kit (available here https://sites.google.com/site/udcaus/holden-ve-ipod-interface ) u could retain the factory head unit and have full control of the iPad with the added bonus of the now playing song appearing on the factory displays. Unfortunately it's only available for the omega and ss head units.

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Not for me mate but yep that is a cool interface, because i have a after market HU I get all that stuff anyway.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
It would be great for diagnostics including just knowing what's going on with the usual temps and levels that once upon a time we'd stick a cluster of VDO gagues to keep an eye on. Given that the iQ system is windows based I don't know why it didn't come out with similar 'eye candy' options from the factory, infinitely customizable, including 3G Internet access etc.

Good work guys. ;)

Yeah, maybe i am just getting old in my mind.

Becasue IMO (not saying you can't or shouldn't do it) but when im driving, im driving. the cd thats in there plays and thats it.

I just cant see the point in have so much function/customisation glued to your centre console. But hey each to their own

ngalea

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
hi there so all in all from what iv got from this is that use have installed a ipad where the old head deck was can u change songs threw it? also how much would all this cost? and again can u run ur hvac controlles threw the ipad ? thanks

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Yep you can change songs with the ipad, sw controls and the head unit. Cost about $400-500 excluding ipad and HVAC touchscreen. There was some development on a ipad HVAC interface could still be going i dont know.

ngalea

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
and u have to run a seperate head deck is that right? so on yours how is every thing hooked into the engine rpm and stuff? is it all apps u can dowm load for the ipad or does it need to be jailbroken? alos thats what it has costed u right? so if u were to get like a auto electrition to do it it would be heeps more? thanks

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Yep Mate, I have a HU in my Glovebox, The car info (RPM and stuff) is sent to the ipad via a WiFI OBD interface, no jailbreak required. A sparky would cost you a crap load mate.

TechRecruit

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
*Suspence*
After reading this thread I can see that it is not a very complicated process. This set up can not only work in commodores either, am I correct?

This would be quite pointless for me though as I have the Holden IQ system. Still, very impressive!

With regards to some_guy's second or third observation, couldn't you just link the system so the video stream/feed is sent onto the iPad screen and just not run a LCD screen over your mirror (massive mental blank and can't remember proper name.). Also, you could link the system like the Holden IQ system so when the reverse gear is engaged the video stream/feed is automatically displayed on the iPad.

Any mistakes or anything wong feel free to let me know.